turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Greg Gwaltney's NWTF winning Trumpet

Started by hpo, March 22, 2024, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpo

Just wanted to share a nice story about this Trumpet and Call Maker Greg Gwaltney, reference his NWTF winning entry this year (call #490).

I am a sucker for a nice call, in particular all manner of trumpets (Roanoke, Jordan hybrids, Cane, Wingbone, etc....). A few years ago, I was at the convention and played several trumps and bid on, and won, a Gwaltney trump-his old style-that really had great resonation (a term I am using to describe reverb or vibration in the trumpet). Very unique and created a great hen sound. I have used this trumpet for several years with great success.

At the convention this year, I was working our booth and a gentlemen came by and we were talking mouth calls-and he bought a few. The guy could play the calls well (I think we discussed gobbling on a mouth call-something I have yet to learn) and we got to talking how I usually gobble, either on a box or a trumpet. Anyway-we got chatting and he eventually left-clearly a nice guy.

The next day he stopped by the booth again and we were BSing-I noticed he had a lanyard and asked what he did there? Chapter President, ran a booth, or what? The guy mentioned he was a Judge for the Call-Making competition. This really perked my interest and we got to discussing all the calls (I had yet to get over there) and in particular my weakness, Trumpets and that style of call. Great conversation which went back and forth to other judges, the challenges of judging, and back to Trumpets. At that point he mentioned one Trumpet in particular that every single judge had made extremely positive comments that it was full of turkey and was an outstanding trumpet. I asked which one, he said the Winner of the turned Trump category-a Delrin call. He kept mentioning how impressed he was with this call and of course, I was primed to listen. Regardless-this prompted me to head over and check the calls out (abandoning my post!) . Turned out it was Gwaltney's call, #490, and it played-very well and in the manner I was used to with the great reverb that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Knowing this, and that it was a 1st place finish, I certainly bid on it and was fortunate enough to win it. Very pleased. I had reached out to Greg to pass the info on-he discussed his new internals. I also mentioned I would share the story here as comments like I heard are great to hear for folks who make these calls-good motivation!

/End story
Shoot'em in the Face!

hpo

Shoot'em in the Face!

hpo

Shoot'em in the Face!

greentrout

I got your call's twin back in February. Has the same internals. Will be in the woods with me this season for sure. It's a killer call and Greg has these internals dialed in!

Congratulations on an awesome call with a great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

hpo

Shoot'em in the Face!

tal

Greg Massey

I got his Kingwood that he placed last year at the NWTF ... Fine trumpet .... congrats on your ....

GregGwaltney

Quote from: hpo on March 22, 2024, 06:58:50 PM
Just wanted to share a nice story about this Trumpet and Call Maker Greg Gwaltney, reference his NWTF winning entry this year (call #490).

I am a sucker for a nice call, in particular all manner of trumpets (Roanoke, Jordan hybrids, Cane, Wingbone, etc....). A few years ago, I was at the convention and played several trumps and bid on, and won, a Gwaltney trump-his old style-that really had great resonation (a term I am using to describe reverb or vibration in the trumpet). Very unique and created a great hen sound. I have used this trumpet for several years with great success.

At the convention this year, I was working our booth and a gentlemen came by and we were talking mouth calls-and he bought a few. The guy could play the calls well (I think we discussed gobbling on a mouth call-something I have yet to learn) and we got to talking how I usually gobble, either on a box or a trumpet. Anyway-we got chatting and he eventually left-clearly a nice guy.

The next day he stopped by the booth again and we were BSing-I noticed he had a lanyard and asked what he did there? Chapter President, ran a booth, or what? The guy mentioned he was a Judge for the Call-Making competition. This really perked my interest and we got to discussing all the calls (I had yet to get over there) and in particular my weakness, Trumpets and that style of call. Great conversation which went back and forth to other judges, the challenges of judging, and back to Trumpets. At that point he mentioned one Trumpet in particular that every single judge had made extremely positive comments that it was full of turkey and was an outstanding trumpet. I asked which one, he said the Winner of the turned Trump category-a Delrin call. He kept mentioning how impressed he was with this call and of course, I was primed to listen. Regardless-this prompted me to head over and check the calls out (abandoning my post!) . Turned out it was Gwaltney's call, #490, and it played-very well and in the manner I was used to with the great reverb that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Knowing this, and that it was a 1st place finish, I certainly bid on it and was fortunate enough to win it. Very pleased. I had reached out to Greg to pass the info on-he discussed his new internals. I also mentioned I would share the story here as comments like I heard are great to hear for folks who make these calls-good motivation!

/End story
Nice, fun story for me, thanks for sharing and glad both trumpets are working out good for you.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

GregGwaltney

Quote from: greentrout on March 22, 2024, 09:12:08 PM

I got your call's twin back in February. Has the same internals. Will be in the woods with me this season for sure. It's a killer call and Greg has these internals dialed in!

Congratulations on an awesome call with a great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Greentrout, I am working on 2 Delrin trumpets right now and they do run nice.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet