OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New to trumpets,do they require break in period?

Started by deadbuck, April 30, 2019, 01:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

After watching Catman on his Youtube videos I have gotten interested in Trumpets. Ordered me a $20 special off Ebay a few weeks ago and have been practicing a lot. My question is, does a Trumpet sound better over time or is the end result strictly from the guy blowing the call? Also, can a guy that is really good on a $500 trumpet sound good on a $20 trumpet? Am having fun playing it and I seem to be getting better but it is hit and miss on the first note or two at the beginning of a sequence.

fordhunt

It just takes practice .you just need to find the mouth piece that you like the best . different size can make a big difference .I like a small mouth piece my self.

outdoors

It's the person not the trumpet that gets broke in
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

davisd9

Trumpets are all about the player.  Some are better than others, but overall a good player can play almost all trumpets.  The biggest differences in trumpets in how easy the draw is.  Price itself does not mean easier playing but most that have that easy playing trumpet have time and reputation which means they have earned a higher price.  The things that go into price is the maker's name, the trumpet's reputation, and the materials used.  You do not have to spend $300 bucks to get a good trumpet to learn on but $20 eBay trumpet or a $50 one from Cabelas are not going to be the easiest 9 out of 10 times. 

Everyone plays different so it is hard to say this is the best trumpet to learn on.  It is kind of individual based, sort of like mouth calls.  Experienced players can also recommend harder to use trumpets because they have the mechanics to play them easily.  The calls I recommend to a person is Billy Buice with a #4, Brian Mero, Matt Mclain, or Ralph Permar as I know this are easier to use trumpets for any experience level.  Good luck as the trumpet game is a slippery slope.   
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

Quote from: davisd9 on April 30, 2019, 01:51:36 PM
Trumpets are all about the player.  Some are better than others, but overall a good player can play almost all trumpets.  The biggest differences in trumpets in how easy the draw is.  Price itself does not mean easier playing but most that have that easy playing trumpet have time and reputation which means they have earned a higher price.  The things that go into price is the maker's name, the trumpet's reputation, and the materials used.  You do not have to spend $300 bucks to get a good trumpet to learn on but $20 eBay trumpet or a $50 one from Cabelas are not going to be the easiest 9 out of 10 times. 

Everyone plays different so it is hard to say this is the best trumpet to learn on.  It is kind of individual based, sort of like mouth calls.  Experienced players can also recommend harder to use trumpets because they have the mechanics to play them easily.  The calls I recommend to a person is Billy Buice with a #4, Brian Mero, Matt Mclain, or Ralph Permar as I know this are easier to use trumpets for any experience level.  Good luck as the trumpet game is a slippery slope.

Very well explained.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: EZ on April 30, 2019, 01:56:32 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 30, 2019, 01:51:36 PM

Very well explained.
Agreed, excellent.

ol bob

The difference between a $100. trumpet and a $500. trumpet is $400.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

deadbuck

larry9988

If you got your $20 ebay trumpet from the same guy I got my $20 ebay trumpet, its as good as a lot of $75-100 trumpets I have. I have a lot of trumpets, I also make trumpets and that ebay trumpet is an incredible buy for for $20. You will kill just as many with that trumpet as any. The guy that made the two I ordered a few years ago is from York,Penn.

deadbuck

davisd9

Let's hear one of these $20 trumpets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: davisd9 on May 01, 2019, 04:47:04 PM
Let's hear one of these $20 trumpets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes let's hear one...but then they might not be 20 bucks anymore.... :popcorn:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

beardhunter87