turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wood choice for new trumpet

Started by Rzrbac, April 07, 2019, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I had a great conversation with the call maker today. I have narrowed my choices down to African Blackwood, Osage or Persimmon. I wasn't aware that Osage darkened up like it does. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to acquire another trumpet. My thoughts are it doesn't matter what choice I make on this trumpet because I've got a feeling I'm gonna end up having several.

I forgot to ask him about mud cured Osage, what's the difference between that and regular Osage?

mmclain

A well built trumpet really won't make much difference in sound based on wood density.  You can tell a little difference between persimmon and Blackwood but no overwhelming difference. 

Rzrbac

Thanks, I was just looking at a Janka Hardness chart. In my simple mind I figured the more dense the better.

By the way that walnut tube I got from you sounds great. Much better than the one I had.

Chris O

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 10, 2019, 09:45:39 PM
I had a great conversation with the call maker today. I have narrowed my choices down to African Blackwood, Osage or Persimmon. I wasn't aware that Osage darkened up like it does. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to acquire another trumpet. My thoughts are it doesn't matter what choice I make on this trumpet because I've got a feeling I'm gonna end up having several.

I forgot to ask him about mud cured Osage, what's the difference between that and regular Osage?
Good assumption on the feeling you will end up owning several trumpets. Mud cured I assume started while using a fence post to make trumpets and when they got to the part that had been in the ground for a long time it t turned into a greenish tint in the wood.

mmclain

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 10, 2019, 11:05:21 PM
Thanks, I was just looking at a Janka Hardness chart. In my simple mind I figured the more dense the better.

By the way that walnut tube I got from you sounds great. Much better than the one I had.
Thanks you. Enjoy!   
Basing good/bad on Hanks hardness is not always good.