OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Olb Browning A-5 meets Hevi 13 #7s

Started by fountain, May 01, 2011, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

M dad has an old browning a-5..very old..belgium made.  the original bbl was cut many years ago for some strange reason..hacked up more like it.  that bbl was replaced with a 32" full japan bbl.  i have use it some and actually killed my first 2 turkeys with it as did my dad.

he wanted to go hunting some this weekend and i took him.  his health is not so great having had several severe strokes leaving him legally blind..anyways..we went hunting..i had my doubts as to how it would work.  he has been hung up on old lead 5s..thanks turkey thugs!  well we went friday and he actually killed one.  i slipped him in the only 3" nitro #7 i had left :toothy12:..lead..well at 20 yards the 32" full worked very well.

long story short here..this joker is heavy!  carrying it around gets old fast.  we got to thinking about shaping up the short bbl to see if we could do something with it.  we called up william at sumtoy and took it to him and in short order we had a cleaned up bbl threaded with tru choke threads mated up with a very sharp looking 660 to match.  the bbl ended up at 20". 

we shot it there at the shop and it was shooting waay high with a magnetic tru glo bead..so i found a tru glo pro series dot that jacked up the front sight lowering the poi just right.  i was very skeptical when i went out today to see what it would do..i knew it should do ok..but i think we have a sho nuff killer here.  i started at 30 since my dad says he will not shooot past that..but when i shot the 30 pattern i had to go to 40...
check em out

30 yards

40 yards

30 yards with daddys beloved remy nitro 5s

needless to say hes gonna go with the hevi 13s!

thanks william...it turned out great and shoots just as good. 

bowhunter84

fountain

I will be the first to say that I was blown away, especially with the short bbl.  I havent net seen any other a-5 patterns, so I really didn't know where to start or what to expect.  The work thy was done is top notch and am very pleased.   I can't wait to see what it does with some tss 9s.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Never Misses

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

cannonball

pdqt

Great patterns!!  If you are going to shoot the real heavy loads in it, you may consider an extra friction ring. should help with the recoil, and keep the bolt from hitting  the "hump" with the heavies.

fountain

I do new some more friction pcs and brass rings.  If somebody could point me in the direction to some I would appreciate it.  I wanna see if I can get this gun to shoot 2 3/4" shells...it never has before

deadbuck

fountain

I will tomorrow if I can remember.  It'd at my dads house and I gotta go over there tomorrow aim Anna clean it again after shooting from Sunday. 

trkehunr93

Great patterns!  Can't wait 2 see a pic of the gun.

fountain

heres some pics..not the best, but im no photographer!

...and the ol 32" full pipe

BOFF

Good to read!!!

Congrats to you and your dad on the bird. A memory which won't be forgotten!!

Great looking A5. Way to bring back a classic!!!

God Bless,
David B.

BOFF