turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli and Hevi 7's do some talkin!

Started by Borden811, May 01, 2011, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Well, the plan this morning was to get a first turkey for my brothers g/f. We almost got it done. We got set up on the birds he roosted last night, and they started hammering as soon as light appeared on the horizon. I was set up 15 yards from them to do the calling, and they were set up together to film/shoot. After flydown, and a few soft calls, I had a longbeard and a jake following a hen about 40 yards in front of me. I let them pass, as they were headed straight for my brother and his g/f. Turns out they couldn't see them because of some brush, and they eventually followed the hen out through the woods 100 yards or so, and started strutting in circles. I tried to get the hen fired up, and when I did, she started right for me. She got to within 40 yards, but the gobblers never followed her. Shortly after that, two other people who we had talked to in the dark(and had agreed to stay on the other side of the farm we were hunting) tried to move in on the gobblers and spooked them. We headed away from those hunters, and found another longbeard, a jake, and 5 hens in a field about 200 yards away. We cut down into the woods, closed the gap a bit, and were just getting ready to set up and call to them when three hunters from the other direction called, and got a response from the gobbler. Within 2 minutes, we could see them sneaking down the field edge from the other hill, trying to get closer to the birds. I'm not entirely sure how close they planned on getting, but at 80 yards or so, they spooked the whole flock. By then it was 8 a.m., and no ther gobbles could be heard. Since my brother's girlfriend had worked till 1 a.m., and then gotten up at 4a.m. to hunt, she wanted to call it quits. Back to the house we went. I ate some breakfast, watched a little tv, and around 10 decided to head back to the farm, figuring I'd have it all to myself. I was right. I threw on my vest, loaded up an headed for the far woodline. Once there, I let out a few cutts, and got an immediate response. I moved inside the woods 50 yards, got set up and called again. He double gobbled, and I set the call in the leaves, put the gun up, and waited. Twenty minutes later, and still nothing. I picked up the call, gave a few purrs, and set the call back down. When I looked up, I caught movement about 70 yards out. He topped a small rise in full strut. I never called again, and it took him about 10 minutes to strut all the way in to 33 yards. At that point, he stretched out his neck to look around, and I gave him a face full of metal! Those 7's absolutely crushed him! Not the biggest bird in the woods, but I was thrilled to get him after all of the mornings events. Plus, this bird completed my PA triple trophy for this year. He weighed 19 lbs, had an 8 3/4 in. beard, and 7/8 in spurs. I'd like to thank M. Yuengling from this site for the call he made me that I called this bird in with. He sure loved the sound of that copper pot!

Hognutz

Way to go, Borden. Nice gobbler.Great pictures.. Well done. I am a Benelli man, myself..Mike   :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WyoHunter

Gotta love those 7's! Pretty bird and nice pics - Congrats!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Borden811

Thanks guys. BTW, if this needs moved to the general forum by the mods, go for it. I looked before I posted and didn't see a forum with turkey stories in it, then found it after I posted. Also, I skinned this bird's neck out completely becasue I was interested to see what kind of damage they did. I'm not sure if they are too graphic to post on here or not. If they aren't I'll post em up. If they are, pm you if you want to see them, and I'll get em to ya. I will say, they were brutal!

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

neal

SBEII + 7's my combo as well! Nice job and way to stick with it!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

drenalinld

I have crushed one this Spring with my SBEII and #7's. It is a mean combo!! Congratulations!! I love those mid morning hunts.

beagler

Never Misses

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

cannonball

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!