turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 500 anyone useing them

Started by scastle, April 30, 2011, 11:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scastle

thinking on buying me one,local shop has camo gun.anyone using it as their main gun,also hoping to use tss so im thinking 3inch should be plenty. ???

natman

I've used a Mossberg 500 for more than fifteen years. Inside 40 yards 3" is plenty even with lead if you use the right loads. I've had very good luck with Winchester 3" 2 oz #4s.

Here's what mine looks like:

SumToy

They will work just fine.  Only thing is they got a little more kick then some of the other pumps.  Now you not shoot it all the time so it is not all that bad.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bowhunter84

i used a 3" mossberg 500 for a good while. would throw some pretty good patterns with lead #6's

coyotetrpr

My wife shoots the 500 super bantam and loves it. The gun is light to carry and will shoot the h13 6's quite well.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

knotheadedfool

I bought a 500 turkey thug this year for the adjustable trigger, top tang safety, and as a backup to my 11-87.  I'm now selling my 11-87.  I like the gun that much.

SR1

A 500 was my 1st gun kicked like a mule lol even with trap loads. Grandpa changed the pitch of the stock with some spacers and the kick was gone. So for all of you that get railed by your guns look into changeing the pitch. It wont stop the recoil but changes how it is felt by makeing the gun fit you better.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

coyotetrpr

Quote from:  link=topic=8959.msg105775#msg105775 date=1304363258
Quote from: natman on May 02, 2011, 06:41:07 AM
I've used a Mossberg 500 for more than fifteen years. Inside 40 yards 3" is plenty even with lead if you use the right loads. I've had very good luck with Winchester 3" 2 oz #4s.

My Mossberg 500 setup is good to 75 yds or so, and has a 10" pattern at 20 yds.
what is your setup
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

ohio76

I've got a 500A that I bought about 10yrs ago and just recently put a Stardot choke on it,thanks to Jonhaga, and it throws a great pattern.
Here is a pattern it shot,granted it was only 30yds but it is still a heck of a pattern. I was using Hevi-13 3" 7's.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: bowhunter84 on May 02, 2011, 09:51:05 AM
i used a 3" mossberg 500 for a good while. would throw some pretty good patterns with lead #6's

That's what I use yet  :icon_thumright:

dawei

FWIW, I had shoulder surgery to repair a rotator cuff injury, and then had a total shoulder replacement in 09/2008. It took 6 months before I could get back to shooting. My Dr told be that my days of shooting a 12ga are over (and he was right). I have a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga, I bought it new in 2000. The Mossberg® item number is 56436. It has a 26" non-ported barrel with Accu-Choke(s) which is the Invector®, Win-Choke® system. The gun has black synthetic furniture, a flat black receiver, and a parkerized (phosphate) barrel. I did four things that greatly improved the performance of the gun................
• Added a Sling
• Added TruGlo® fiber optic sights
• Added a Wrights® Swarm™ .555" choke tube
• "Deep Cleaned" and polished the barrel

Although this is a 20ga gun it performs like a 12ga. I will not hesitate to shoot out to 45yds with this gun. I cleanly harvested a big 25lb Merriams gobbler @ 42yds with this gun last month.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

njdevilsb

I have a 535, just a 3.5" 500 basically, and I love it.  Patterns great with Hevi 13's and an Indian Creek tube.  The recoil is stout though.  I've had it for 4 years.  I didn't hunt with it at all last year, but I killed a nice bird with it this morning, and I don't even think it kicked.   ;D

surehuntsalot

Quote from: njdevilsb on May 05, 2011, 09:35:25 PM
I have a 535, just a 3.5" 500 basically, and I love it.  Patterns great with Hevi 13's and an Indian Creek tube.  The recoil is stout though.  I've had it for 4 years.  I didn't hunt with it at all last year, but I killed a nice bird with it this morning, and I don't even think it kicked.   ;D

they never do kick when you are shooting at a bird,at least mine don't
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Divenut2

I have used my trusty old 500 for the last 20+ years. Primarily for Deer (20" brl w adjustable sights) and Pheasant (28" ventilated rib). Used the later barrel with the original Full Choke tube screwed in and Winchester 3" #5's on my first Turkey Hunt. She bagged a nice Gobbler for me. It's not pretty, but has put lots of meat in the freezer over the years.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

trkehunr93

I hunted with my 500 w/ a 28" bbl for about 10 years and smoked turkeys with it using the factory full choke and 2 & 3/4" Fed. Prem. #6's.  I think that gun will become a project in the off season with a choke/load upgrade and hopefully see some more time in the woods come this fall turkey season.