OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey fan Umbrella

Started by Hatchet Jack, March 26, 2019, 10:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatchet Jack

I had a $100 dollar Bass Pro gift card burning a hole in my pocket. So I decided to buy a turkey fan umbrella with it. Checking to see who might have experience using one and what your thoughts were on it and if you might have some tips.
Thanx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RjEn7yU0I

LaLongbeard

Probably the best money you ever spent! I have 5 of the umbrellas myself I use a golf bag to tote around, little heavy but worth it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

Here's a pic of my favorite Turkey umbrella,no Gobbler is safe when I pull this bad boy out of the bag!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 26, 2019, 11:21:38 PM
Here's a pic of my favorite Turkey umbrella,no Gobbler is safe when I pull this bad boy out of the bag!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Hatchet Jack

Marc

My impression is that it would be great for killing turkeys, but maybe not so much for "hunting" them....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

compton30

Quote from: Hatchet Jack on March 27, 2019, 10:26:30 PM
Funny fellas, but this is more of what I had in mind.

They knew what you were talking about. Your method of hunting doesn't line up with how LA likes to hunt so he was mocking you. Don't take it personally though, he's rude to anyone when it comes to this sort of thing.

Hopefully somebody with a legitimate reason to respond to this other than bashing you will chime in to your thread. I doubt it though. Whenever fanning or decoys come up, there's far more people who use their time to make sure they let you know that "I ain't never used a stuffed chicken to hunt with and dang sure never will! *Insert paragraphs about how they like to hunt. You should hunt like me!"

Good luck this Spring

Hatchet Jack

Quote from: Marc on March 28, 2019, 12:58:57 AM
My impression is that it would be great for killing turkeys, but maybe not so much for "hunting" them....
I have been hunting and killing turkeys with bow and gun since the early 1980's.Most times without the aid of decoys or ground blind. My impression is contrary to your's. My OP asked for people to respond who might have experience using this product.

Hatchet Jack

Quote from: compton30 on March 28, 2019, 01:02:57 AM
Quote from: Hatchet Jack on March 27, 2019, 10:26:30 PM
Funny fellas, but this is more of what I had in mind.

They knew what you were talking about. Your method of hunting doesn't line up with how LA likes to hunt so he was mocking you. Don't take it personally though, he's rude to anyone when it comes to this sort of thing.

Hopefully somebody with a legitimate reason to respond to this other than bashing you will chime in to your thread. I doubt it though. Whenever fanning or decoys come up, there's far more people who use their time to make sure they let you know that "I ain't never used a stuffed chicken to hunt with and dang sure never will! *Insert paragraphs about how they like to hunt. You should hunt like me!"

Good luck this Spring
Thank you for your response Compton. Yeah, I knew I was being mocked. That's fine, I got a chuckle out of it. I am new to this forum but not new to turkey hunting and breakin' balls. Whether they be my balls or or someone else's.
I have been turkey hunting going on 39 years this season. I have killed my fair share of birds without the aid of decoys or ground blinds. Always thought the turkey fan would be a fun alternative to hunting birds. Not exclusively, but as another alternative in a bag of tricks a hunter can use while he is in the field. Looks like fun to me, especially when you can go on the offensive and challenge a big tom out in an open field.

Good Luck to you this spring as well.

mspaci

$100 for an umbrella seems like alot for me. If I wanted to try reaping id just use a real fan for free, Mike

fallhnt

Baby steps gentlemen. They just started accepting TSS as a shot choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

I personally take no position on the use of stuff like this.  It certainly is clever and would appear to be an effective alternative to trying to push a strutter decoy along in front of you while slithering towards a gobbler.  If someone likes the product and wants to use it, then go for it.

My concern, though, is about the impact on the resource.  How many years will it take for our turkey populations to be impacted by significant numbers of hunters using the "reaping" technique to a degree that it is actually detrimental to the health of those populations?  Perhaps the level of gobbler harvest will never reach the tipping point in terms of affecting turkey numbers.  Perhaps the technique will become less and less effective over time as more and more gobblers "learn" from their experiences with reapers. I don't know.

What I am certain of is that a lot of mature gobblers that were not getting killed prior to the advent of reaping are now meeting their demise.  Anybody that has hunted gobblers knows that, if they get to their third or fourth year and beyond, they are very difficult to kill by traditional calling methods.  That fact pretty much ensures that there will always be a number of gobblers around to breed. 

The long-term impacts of reaping, and the added mortality it has on mature gobbler numbers, has yet to be evaluated as far as I know.  The question is what real impact will it have,...not only on the long-term health of the resource, but also the quality of the turkey hunting experience as more and more gobblers disappear from the landscape?  ...And are we, as turkey hunters, willing to accept those risks due to the advent of technology that preys upon the weaknesses of our quarry?

I certainly don't know the answer,...but we are headed towards finding out....

fallhnt

It's not a slam dunk 100% ,works every time,even LA could do it guarantee.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

LaLongbeard

Quote from: fallhnt on March 28, 2019, 08:51:26 AM
It's not a slam dunk 100% ,works every time,even LA could do it guarantee.

The OP wasn't offended by the joke but yet you were. It's like if there's not enough crying someone like you will step in to make sure there is lol.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: mspaci on March 28, 2019, 08:43:47 AM
$100 for an umbrella seems like alot for me. If I wanted to try reaping id just use a real fan for free, Mike

When I do fan, I use a real one.