Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

567 Sumtoy choke with LongBeard or Heavyweight shells?

Started by ahfox16, March 15, 2019, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Anyone use it and how have the patterns looked?   PS. Getting close to hammer time in VA.

huntinsomd

A couple years ago I made the switch to Long Beard shells and was very impressed with the patterns. I didn't want to jump on the Hevi whatever wagon because of the price. After sighting in my new Franchi last week with 3rd degree, HW, Federal TSS and Apex I wouldn't shoot anything else by choice other than shells loaded with TSS. The Apex shells are great and I plan on reloading my own TSS shells next year. The shells are expensive, but the average guy isn't going to shoot more than a few boxes sighting in their gun and on turkeys so I'm willing to pay for the difference in performance (a huge difference). Long Beards were the best lead shells that I tried, but there are other options these days.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: huntinsomd on March 15, 2019, 05:06:36 PM
A couple years ago I made the switch to Long Beard shells and was very impressed with the patterns. I didn't want to jump on the Hevi whatever wagon because of the price. After sighting in my new Franchi last week with 3rd degree, HW, Federal TSS and Apex I wouldn't shoot anything else by choice other than shells loaded with TSS. The Apex shells are great and I plan on reloading my own TSS shells next year. The shells are expensive, but the average guy isn't going to shoot more than a few boxes sighting in their gun and on turkeys so I'm willing to pay for the difference in performance (a huge difference). Long Beards were the best lead shells that I tried, but there are other options these days.

I agree about the TSS just finished patterning my 20 g and the pattern is much better than my 12 g in LB. Still I took my first slam with the 12 so am going to keep it as a back up LB and all.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

huntinsomd

Both of my back-up guns are 12's loaded with Long Beard!

ahfox16

Well,  I took out the backup turkey gun today and it did ok with the Sumtoy .567 and Heavyweight 7's. (121 pellets in a 10" circle at lazered 40 yards).  However Heavyweight 6's were god awful.  No lie, 46 hits in a 10" circle and this was shooting off a lead slead.  Looked like the pattern was just sprayed.  I'm thinking over choked by have no idea.