OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ol' Tom Time & Motion Easy Rider Vest

Started by Daggerz, March 18, 2019, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daggerz

Thinking on ordering this vest, and would appreciate your feedback.  Likes/dislikes?  Fit, quality, etc.  Thanks. 

THattaway

I just ordered two, one for me and one for my son. Hunted them Saturday and well pleased. Previously hunted an I-beam hard for the last 7 seasons. The Easy rider is more comfortable IMO, seems beefier and made from better material. Weighs same as empty I-beam as far as I can tell. Pockets are laid out better than I-beam IMO. I was able to put everything I had in my I-beam into the Easy Rider except for extra box calls, and I carry a bunch of stuff. I bought a couple HS Strut box call holsters and tacked on a Velcro strap right above the vest box call holder to make a second "modular" box call holder. Seat cushion is better quality than I-Beam.

Mossy oak store had them on sale for $109. My wife was able to get another bit off with online coupons and ended up with $92 a vest. Good luck with it. I really like mine.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Spyderman

I bought a time and motion beat back in December. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm impressed with the pockets and overall layout. I also have a tenzing tv14? But I could never get it as snug as I like. The time and motion seems to be more adjustable. I'm about 6'1" 185 lbs.

I'm looking forward to getting it out this spring!

Daggerz

I also had a Tenzing TP14, but sold it.   

tha bugman

I tried one on and I liked the fit and layout.

Daggerz

low2497

Overall, I like mine. I would change some things on it though.

The seat magnets could be stronger than what they are.

I also added a mouth call pouch with a lanyard on it. The 2 mesh sleeves for mouth calls weren't very secure. The calls would easily fall out with my use. I just attached the lanyard to the d-ring that the locator call lanyards goes on. Then I just drop the pouch into one of the zippered interior pockets.

I think it is one of the better vest options offered today even with these issues.

Daggerz

Spyderman

Quote from: Daggerz on March 19, 2019, 09:00:57 AM
I also had a Tenzing TP14, but sold it.   

From what I've seen of it, I'm glad I made the switch. The Tenzing was a quality vest, but didn't fit me well.

THattaway

Quote from: low2497 on March 19, 2019, 10:41:13 PM

I also added a mouth call pouch with a lanyard on it. The 2 mesh sleeves for mouth calls weren't very secure. The calls would easily fall out with my use. I just attached the lanyard to the d-ring that the locator call lanyards goes on. Then I just drop the pouch into one of the zippered interior pockets.

I think it is one of the better vest options offered today even with these issues.
You are right about the seat magnets. They aren't bad but they are a little weaker than the I-beam magnets I've had previously. Once in a while the seat will work loose. I am not above scavenging another magnet and tacking it on. I use the mesh mouth call holders for extra rubber bands for box calls. One last thing, there isn't a gun cradle on the easy rider. I tacked a loop of paracord on to make one. Outside that, it's a great vest.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Spyderman

Quote from: THattaway on March 20, 2019, 04:38:42 PM
Quote from: low2497 on March 19, 2019, 10:41:13 PM

You are right about the seat magnets. They aren't bad but they are a little weaker than the I-beam magnets I've had previously. Once in a while the seat will work loose. I am not above scavenging another magnet and tacking it on. I use the mesh mouth call holders for extra rubber bands for box calls. One last thing, there isn't a gun cradle on the easy rider. I tacked a loop of paracord on to make one. Outside that, it's a great vest.

How do you like the gun cradle? That's one of the features that drew me to the Ol' Tom (and finding it for $40 on sale!), but it seems to get mixed reviews at best.

THattaway

I like them good enough to make them for vests that don't have them. Great for holding the gun butt (along with an HS strut knee gun cradle) while you work a call with your hands. Haven't had it impede anything so far and have used one for a good many years. Great when you need it. Good luck this spring.