OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Marlin call to get?

Started by wjones15, March 08, 2019, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjones15

For all you guys that have a ton of Marlins calls.  I am on his list right now.  I have no idea what I am going to get.  What is y'all's favorite combos?  Pictures are appreciated.  What calls are proven by the turkeys?

Sir-diealot

Following as I will be looking at his at the Call Makers Summit.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Mad_Baron

Most time when your name comes up he will send sound files of a wood combo you may have asked for and some other calls and you make final choice by sound.  From what i see most calls he is making are Butternut, Mineral Poplar, Mahogany and Persimmon boxes with a variety of lids.  Search Marlin Watkins box calls on here and you will find threads discussing wood combos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John Haines

Mad Baron Calls
NWTF Chapter President
NWTF Indiana State Board Member

Greg Massey

You will have chooses after you get the call from Marlin , he will send you some sound files and you will make a decision from those sound files ... so unless your having something special built , it will be just what he has available at the time ... So it's hard to just tell you Marlin combo's ... all of them will be great call's just pick the one that sounds the best to your ears ....your liking .....

OHturkey85

Bloodwood over butternut is good combo to start out with

MDTOM84

Quote from: OHturkey85 on March 08, 2019, 07:34:41 PM
Bloodwood over butternut is good combo to start out with
this combo was killer last season for me.

Bennett

I just received a Hop Horn Beam with Cherry lid. As mentioned, Mr. Watkins sent me sound files of four different boxes to choose from. It's great as are all of his I own. If I had to pick a favorite it would be my Beech/Bloodwood

wjones15

What is y'all's favorite combo's?  This is to simplify

jed clampett

Hop horn beam over mineral poplar is a good sounding box..can be played real soft also

MDTOM84

Quote from: wjones15 on March 08, 2019, 08:31:41 PM
What is y'all's favorite combo's?  This is to simplify
to my ears it's purpleheart over sycamore, last season it was bloodwood over butternut for the birds

Gog1015

Hop horn beam/mineral poplar is one of my favorites, but ipe/sycamore is good as well. I'm not aware of Mr. Watkins making a bad combo, like others have said listen to what he offers and pick
what you think will work best for the area you hunt.

Spitten and drummen

Snakewood over holley. We will see what the birds think of it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Clardh

Actually, any combination Marlin makes is a killer! I know this is no help but it's the truth!

Spitten and drummen

I can honestly say I never heard one of marlins calls that was not all turkey. Thats why I own 11 of them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Yoder409

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 09, 2019, 01:25:30 PM
I can honestly say I never heard one of marlins calls that was not all turkey.

This right here.   Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.