turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scouting question

Started by mpgavin1987, March 23, 2019, 09:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpgavin1987

Season opens in 16 days. Was thinking of going to scout some public land. With this forecast what would y'all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plush

I mean why not, won't learn anything on the couch.

Not sure about where you are, but the birds are still in winter flocks by me so any scouting is only so valuable right now. The snow is also still subsiding so getting off the road has been pretty much impossible.

mpgavin1987

Quote from: Plush on March 23, 2019, 10:33:01 PM
I mean why not, won't learn anything on the couch.

Not sure about where you are, but the birds are still in winter flocks by me so any scouting is only so valuable right now. The snow is also still subsiding so getting off the road has been pretty much impossible.

I'm in north arkansas, been running in the 50-60's for past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

I would go every morning I could and be somewhere in that public land 45 minutes to an hour before daylight. I would hit a different location each morning and listen from a high point (or location where I thought I could hear the area the best).  I would mark any birds I heard at each location,...and if I did not hear any gobbling by half hour before sunrise, I would be moving and using a loud locator call to try to get gobblers to respond.  After sunrise, I would be concentrating on looking for turkeys in open areas and for turkey sign. 

If you have to choose a few specific days to go, I would choose the clear (or least chance for rain) days and the least windy.  Of the days listed in the summary, my choices in order would be 9th, 10th, 8th,...and all the rest equal.