OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall hunting?

Started by southpawhunter, February 25, 2019, 12:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southpawhunter

Here in northern New Jersey I have been hunting turkey in the fall as well as the spring. How many of you do the same thing and what is your success rate? Thanks. :thanks:

Steve

randy6471

I've hunted fall turkeys in N.E. Pa. for many, many years. Usually it's with several other hunters and we use the "bust up the flock and call them back" strategy with great success. I've found that fall hunting is a good way to introduce someone to turkey hunting or give a new turkey hunter an opportunity to practice and build confidence in their calling. Also fall hunting sometimes gives a hunter a chance to hear a much wider range of turkey vocabulary than spring hunting.

If I'm hunting alone I usually hunt gobblers only, which of course are more difficult to find/call. In Pa. we can hunt fall turkeys with a rifle, but I don't. I won't shoot a turkey that isn't called to the gun...just me.

fallhnt

Fall is my favorite time to turkey hunt. I'm deadly on my home turf with bow or gun. I just don't gun hunt much. I set up and call birds in. Couple longbeards from last fall.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

paboxcall

Quote from: randy6471 on February 25, 2019, 07:02:13 PM
I've hunted fall turkeys in N.E. Pa. for many, many years. Usually it's with several other hunters and we use the "bust up the flock and call them back" strategy with great success. I've found that fall hunting is a good way to introduce someone to turkey hunting or give a new turkey hunter an opportunity to practice and build confidence in their calling. Also fall hunting sometimes gives a hunter a chance to hear a much wider range of turkey vocabulary than spring hunting.

:agreed:

I enjoy the fall hunt as much as the spring, just a different kind of turkey hunt. Sure enjoy listening to the flock wake up on the roost, especially if they were scattered the afternoon before. You will hear all the turkey talk.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

EZ

Quote from: paboxcall on March 03, 2019, 02:47:14 PM
Quote from: randy6471 on February 25, 2019, 07:02:13 PM

:agreed:

I enjoy the fall hunt as much as the spring, just a different kind of turkey hunt. Sure enjoy listening to the flock wake up on the roost, especially if they were scattered the afternoon before. You will hear all the turkey talk.

Absolutely agree. I've always enjoyed fall hunting since day one. When my boys started hunting it became even more enjoyable. In the last few years I started going with a friend who has a great turkey dog and I don't think I've ever had so much fun.

tomstopper

Haven't hunted in the fall the last couple years since moving to NC from NY. Wouldn't shoot hens but had plenty of chances. Have shot some nice gobblers in the fall before in both NY and PA. Pic below is the last fall gobbler I was able to kill

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk