turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with Encore

Started by mtns2hunt, March 02, 2019, 07:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Just purchased a 20g barrel for my encore. New for-end coming in Thursday. My question is what choke? I have read a ton of posts on this forum and some of the information gleaned: It takes an invector, mossberg or win choke thread. The factory choke is about .665 (not 100% sure here) and may not be great. Has anyone had good success with the factory choke?

I will be using #9 TSS and although I have two boxes plan on having some LB as back up.

I would like to use a Carlson choke.  I see suggestions for .555 to .575 for the 20 but am still unsure.

There is a lot of chatter about Sumtoy on this forum. Will the Sumtoy chokes work with Tss. If so which ones.

Out of curiosity would the same constrictions work for LB #5. LB's have been very good to me in my 12g and was wondering how they may perform in the 20 g. All advice is appreciated and I apologize if some of my questions are redundant.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

JHoyle

I shoot a .570 haymaker out of mine. Shot this today. 40yds. Handload #9s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candyman

I went with a sumtoy 562. Very pleased with the results. I just got the barrel a few weeks ago. Shooting federal       1 1/2 of 9's. I just got a roll crimper today. I will load my own very soon but will probably hunt with the Federal since I am sighted in and ready.

mtns2hunt

That is a tight pattern. I like it. I will look at the Haymaker. Thanks for sharing.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Candyman on March 02, 2019, 08:53:33 PM
I went with a sumtoy 562. Very pleased with the results. I just got the barrel a few weeks ago. Shooting federal       1 1/2 of 9's. I just got a roll crimper today. I will load my own very soon but will probably hunt with the Federal since I am sighted in and ready.

Reading a lot about the Sumtoy chokes. In fact I am learning a lot about all the different chokes. I will start looking at some patterns before deciding. Appreciate the feedback.

mtns2hunt

Well ended up with an Indian Creek .555. Pattern is about the size of a volley ball at 35 yards. Would a .577 open up the pattern? Also noticed the wad is next to the target and the wad does not open up at all. Is this normal? I noticed on a video the wads are cut to open when hand made. There is also some protective wrap surrounding the shot. Does this take the place of a solid wad with only slits in it?  Thanks!