turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Funky chicken

Started by Red vyper, February 23, 2019, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red vyper

Anybody have sucesss using the funky chicken decoy?

stinkpickle

I haven't tried one, but a lot of guys swear by it.

TRG3

I typically take 2-3 gobblers annually with the help of the Funky Chicken over a hen in the breeding position, usually set up 20+ yards out in a picked corn or soy bean field on the edge of a woods where I comfortably wait in my turkey lounger. My hen calls are eventually answered by my Primos gobble tube which challenges the peck order of the toms. Sometimes it's a 15 minute hunt, other times it takes 2-3 hours to convince the gobbler that he needs to check out the situation. A good seat is very necessary with this approach.

Gumby

I don't use decoys often, usually just for youth hunts. I will tell you the funky chicken does work. Usually place as stated above: hen in breeding position with the funky chicken behind her. Don't listen to anyone that makes fun of it bc I've seen it work too many times first hand. It is a stupid looking decoy though.

Red vyper

Too funny I've heard the same but get it about the looks. I like that stategy a lot gonna try it
Thanks all

TKE921

I use one with a Primos she-mobile when I set up along a field.  There have been a pile of birds killed over that setup the last few years.  I have had other jake decoys, full strutter decoys, and the strutting jake decoy and none have worked as well.  None of the turkeys, longbeard, jake, or hen, that have seen the Funky Chicken have hesitated or become nervous.  They almost always just walk right in to see what's going on.  Only one hen did not come right in.  She stayed about 20 yards back and kept feeding out the field.  The 4 longbeards that were following her marched right in and proceeded to beat up both the Funky Chicken and my hen decoy.

owlhoot

Quote from: TKE921 on February 24, 2019, 12:08:54 PM
I use one with a Primos she-mobile when I set up along a field.  There have been a pile of birds killed over that setup the last few years.  I have had other jake decoys, full strutter decoys, and the strutting jake decoy and none have worked as well.  None of the turkeys, longbeard, jake, or hen, that have seen the Funky Chicken have hesitated or become nervous.  They almost always just walk right in to see what's going on.  Only one hen did not come right in.  She stayed about 20 yards back and kept feeding out the field.  The 4 longbeards that were following her marched right in and proceeded to beat up both the Funky Chicken and my hen decoy.

they must have been beating up the hen trying to tell her how stupid she is for hanging out with that goofy guy. lol   

appalachianstruttstopper

I know for a fact the funcky chicken works. And I know for a fact they are ugly and work. If I didn't already have a jake decoy and I was looking to buy a jake, that would be the one I would buy. :z-twocents:

Red vyper

Just bought one from Cabelas had them on sale for $19.95

guesswho

All about posture and tripping instinctive triggers, aka pushing a gobblers buttons.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

I know for a fact it may scare of a subordinate gobbler.  I decided to give it a try last year.  Bird came in to about 75 yards and would not come one step closer.  He left the field.  I waited for him to get a ways off and I went out and pulled the Funk.  An hour later, the same bird (he had a weird crook in his beard) came back to the field and came right in to the hen and died.  Now, he may have come back and come in anyways, but the way he stood at 75 yards and eyeballed the Funk and a DSD hen, I thought it was the funky that spooked him.  Later, he proved that was probably true.  I think this bird had probably had his butt whipped as 11 days later I killed a nice, healthy three year old.  So maybe any gobbler decoy would have spooked him.  Don't know.  Just thought I would tell that story.  Your mileage may vary.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Gumby

Quote from: g8rvet on February 25, 2019, 02:14:18 PM
I know for a fact it may scare of a subordinate gobbler.  I decided to give it a try last year.  Bird came in to about 75 yards and would not come one step closer.  He left the field.  I waited for him to get a ways off and I went out and pulled the Funk.  An hour later, the same bird (he had a weird crook in his beard) came back to the field and came right in to the hen and died.  Now, he may have come back and come in anyways, but the way he stood at 75 yards and eyeballed the Funk and a DSD hen, I thought it was the funky that spooked him.  Later, he proved that was probably true.  I think this bird had probably had his butt whipped as 11 days later I killed a nice, healthy three year old.  So maybe any gobbler decoy would have spooked him.  Don't know.  Just thought I would tell that story.  Your mileage may vary.

To his point: I did have a mature 3 year old skirt the funky chicken once. This bird had been getting whipped by two bully two year olds and didn't like the ugly guy. That's the only time I've had a bird not come in to investigate it when using it.

Gen.27:3

I haven't tried one, but it is certainly an interesting looking decoy. Are you guys using one all season or just certain times?
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Gumby

Quote from: Gen.27:3 on February 25, 2019, 04:37:25 PM
I haven't tried one, but it is certainly an interesting looking decoy. Are you guys using one all season or just certain times?

The only time I use the funky chicken (or any decoy) is for the youth hunts here in Arkansas. These are usually first weekend in April before our regular season opens. Works good at this point of the season for us.

TKE921

Quote from: Gen.27:3 on February 25, 2019, 04:37:25 PM

I only use it when I am setting up near a field, but I have used it in the beginning and the very last day of season in VA and the results were the same.