turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Idea for penetration testing

Started by HogBiologist, April 28, 2011, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I am broke so I cant do it, but.........

Go to the grocery store and buy some turkey necks.  Get some ballistic gell.  Take a decoy (preferablly a stiff head and neck.   Get some plaster and make a mold.  Boil the necks and get/reassymble the neck bones.  Put the neck in the mold center and fill with melted gell.  When hardened seperate the molds.  Set out at whatever distance penetration is needed.  Shoot and see penetration.  The ballistic gell will act like flesh and the neck bones will act like.........well, neck bones.

Is this a good Idea?  It will stop the penetration squabble and no turkeys will be killed in the process, they were dead before hand.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

jfair

Or go to the local farm and get some of them big white ones.  Might be cheaper.  Still gonna end up with a dead turkey either way.  ;D

Gobble!

I use one of those vanilla pudding snack packs with a corn cob shoved down in it. The pudding is the skin and the corn cob is the bone.
Matches the anatomy of the wild turkey perfectly!!

bowhunter84

Quote from:  link=topic=8763.msg102715#msg102715 date=1304005553
Or, you could just do the ballistics gelatin, and then do something harder, like roofing tin. 
:icon_thumright:

Number17

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 28, 2011, 10:28:42 AM
Why not just buy enough necks at the grocery store and shoot them?

That was my initial thought.
Why not just shoot the necks you bought?  It doesn't seem reasonable to cook and disassemble an authentic turkey neck, then fabricate a jello mold to concoct a replication of the very thing you started with.
Forget about the denaturation of the  proteins and just shoot the raw necks.

That would be like melting down a perfectly good shotgun barrel, to forge a pipe, that resembled a shotgun barrel.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

mnbirdbuster

In the past ive used wet cardboard/newspaper as a crude test! 2"-3" of penetration is a good rough idea of what the loads capable of!

neal

Or just take a look at this gobbler shot at 64 yards and he folded like a cheap tent in a snow storm!

Penetration I think so!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

cannonball

Quote from: neal on April 28, 2011, 10:26:51 PM
Or just take a look at this gobbler shot at 64 yards and he folded like a cheap tent in a snow storm!

Penetration I think so!

:icon_thumright:

Timberline

You could hang the turkey necks from a wire between 2 sheets of paper.  Shoot in 5-yard increments and document the number of pellets that entered the neck vs. exited the neck. 

Keep moving back until the neck stops all of the shot from passing through.

HogBiologist

even just shooting the necks would be better than taking the computers calculations for the gospel.  I think it would be better than the whole 1.5" of Bal Gell.

Gobble!

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 29, 2011, 08:47:02 AM
Quote from: neal on April 28, 2011, 10:26:51 PM

Penetration I think so!
What load?

H13 #7s....I believe the 2.25ozers

Timberline

I guess you really can buy anything on the internet.

http://www.saddogsushi.com/turkey_neck.html

Now that I am looking at them, it might be better just to wrap them in freezer paper or something like that to make the holes more distinct.  For longer shots, it might also be easier to shoot at multiple necks at once to get more holes to check.

mikejd

I think you should boil the turkey necks make a nice soup have lunch then go hunting and kill some birds with whatever rounds you been killing turkeys with already.

HogBiologist

I already have my shell.  Just thinking how to test the other shells to put the penetration debate to a rest.