OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol grip or traditional stock

Started by Jstocks, January 27, 2019, 02:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 27, 2019, 07:47:11 PM
I just can't get used to the looks of a pistol grip stock on a shotgun.............yick !!  I survived turkey hunting this long without one, I'll continue to make it.  Maybe I'm just growing grumpy and stubborn.

Actually........my newest gun is a straight-wristed (English) stock.
I agree.  I think they are ugly and IMO look too "Tactical".   I would feel like I was hunting turkeys with a riot gun. Yuk!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mtns2hunt

I see nothing wrong with pistol grips either in aesthetics or functionality. I have used the M-16 and 15. they are okay but do not provide a perceived advantage to me in turkey hunting: so I go with a more traditional stock. I am using a TC pro hunter muzzle loader: a dream of a rifle to shoot. It is wearing a 20g barrel for the first time this year. I have mounted a scope on it because Tss shoots very tight combined with an Indian Creek .555 choke. I find the TC stock to be extremely comfortable and accepting of a scope. My particular stock is fashioned with a thumb hole which appears to create a much more steady platform. So I guess that in a way I'm shooting a modified pistol grip or at least a modification of a traditional stock.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

the Ward

I swap over to a steady-grip stock on my vinci for turkey season. I think it helps with recoil, and works better when shooting from sometimes awkward seated positions. I also hunt with a browning bps upland with the english stock. I like it for turkey a lot also. I almost bought a bps 20 this year to turn into a dedicated turkey gun with a ff3 on it. Maybe next year! My 12 gauge bps upland has too much drop in the stock for me to add a red dot, and i couldn't bring myself to have it drilled and tapped, so it wears truglow sights.

longislandloco

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 31, 2019, 10:15:42 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 27, 2019, 07:47:11 PM
I just can't get used to the looks of a pistol grip stock on a shotgun.............yick !!  I survived turkey hunting this long without one, I'll continue to make it.  Maybe I'm just growing grumpy and stubborn.

Actually........my newest gun is a straight-wristed (English) stock.
I agree.  I think they are ugly and IMO look too "Tactical".   I would feel like I was hunting turkeys with a riot gun. Yuk!

Same here, conventional stock for me, has worked best for my 50+ years of hunting turkey, JMHO.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Southerngobbler

Iv'e had both and a pistol grip is good cuz you can get one in an adjustable stock witch is convenient to carry with it collapsed. That being said I went back to a traditional stock cuz it is less likely to get hung up on bushes and vines. If you ever find yourself crawling around the traditional stock is easier to handle IMO.