OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why haven’t we seen a high density shot lok shell yet?

Started by strut_stopper, March 31, 2019, 05:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut_stopper

Anyone got any ideas? I figured after tss hit the commercial market last year we would see Winchester loading HD long beards. Maybe it's just me, but I thought compared to last year there was a huge drop off of new turkey gear. The new savages were cool, and I think the new primos surroundview turkey fan would be good. But I didn't see much else

deerpoo22

I absolutely could be wrong, but I thought the entire point of long beards shotlok was to prevent shot deformation because lead is soft. TSS is harder than steel, so it will not deform using standard buffering. It'd make little point in shot that won't deform anyway

bbcoach

Another point is why do we need shot lok with TSS when we can put over 600 #9 pellets in a 20 inch circle at 40 yards.  NO NEED!

davisd9

Because there is no need for it, high density patterns well enough without it. Lead needed it to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

strut_stopper

All valid answers and I understand that totally. I guess I wasn't saying that we needed it, I just figured it was coming as the next latest and greatest if that makes sense. And was surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Fullfan

Quote from: davisd9 on March 31, 2019, 08:33:22 PM
Because there is no need for it, high density patterns well enough without it. Lead needed it to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This
Don't gobble at me...

jrmcclure

My problem is tss in my 12 gauge shoots too tight. I have to purposely shoot a shorter barrel and open choke to even get to a reasonable pattern to hunt with. In my opinion federal needs to drop the flight control wad as it makes tss shoot to tight and the poi wanders a little. A problem I never had with handloads out of my 20 gauge. To put resin around tss to make them shoot tighter is a terrible idea. A standard 4 petal wad reacts to a choke more open or tighter. Resin or a federal flight control wad just seems to do what they want open or tight choke. A flush full out of a 22" barrel should not still shoot 350 in a 10"circle, but the federal tss 9's out of the flight control still does.