Winchester longbeard 3.5 inch 2 oz.   256
Winchester Xtended 3.5 inch  2oz   193
Hevishot 3.5 inch 2 1/4 oz #6   191
Hevishot 3.5 inch 2 1/4 oz #7   171
Hevishot 3.5 inch 2 1/4 oz magnum blend 155

Carlson's
Same round order as above

40 yards, 10 inch circle.

I guess I was a little surprised that all the hevishot patterned tighter out of the Carlson's.683 and the longbeard loads better with the colonial .675
I was also really disappointed with the magnum blend thru both chokes.

bbcoach

Wow, just saw this and can't believe how low the Hevi 6 and 7 numbers are.  As I stated in your other post, Hevi 7's and .670 PG hammer birds for me.  My counts were above 300 and I stopped counting.  From what you posted, stick with the LB's and the Colonial.  THIS IS WHY we need to check our equipment and do some patterning.

Squidkid

Quote from: bbcoach on March 04, 2021, 09:30:32 AM
Wow, just saw this and can't believe how low the Hevi 6 and 7 numbers are.  As I stated in your other post, Hevi 7's and .670 PG hammer birds for me.  My counts were above 300 and I stopped counting.  From what you posted, stick with the LB's and the Colonial.  THIS IS WHY we need to check our equipment and do some patterning.

Actually, I think  the hevishot #6 and #7 shot really well out of the longbeard choke. 282 and 240 respectively.
I know some guys are getting better but these 2 new chokes I purchased increased my patterns, one using longbeard, the other using hevishot.

I feel I need to shoot a few more rounds to confirm a couple things.

jordanz7935

Those are some good patterns! Looks like you have some solid options to go with. Id run that carlsons with the hevi #6's. Thats one of the best 10" #'s ive seen with the hevi 6s.... The hevi shot will have better penetration and better overall pattern than the longbeards, not to mention the longbeards seem to have "wandering zero" problem in some guns. And yea i could never get the magblends to put up over 180 in my 935 in my chokes, and usually were uneven patterns. But they killed birds just fine. I remember indian creek saying there .690 choke worked best with magblends, and also remember seeing that the original .690 jellyhead threw some great patterns with the magblends.

Squidkid

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 04, 2021, 11:13:35 AM
Those are some good patterns! Looks like you have some solid options to go with. Id run that carlsons with the hevi #6's. Thats one of the best 10" #'s ive seen with the hevi 6s.... The hevi shot will have better penetration and better overall pattern than the longbeards, not to mention the longbeards seem to have "wandering zero" problem in some guns. And yea i could never get the magblends to put up over 180 in my 935 in my chokes, and usually were uneven patterns. But they killed birds just fine. I remember indian creek saying there .690 choke worked best with magblends, and also remember seeing that the original .690 jellyhead threw some great patterns with the magblends.

I know I get caught up in numbers, just like most other guys here do, but maybe I should look at actual hunting situations. I me be way off here but as disappointed as I was with the blend at 40, that might just be what I use in the thicker woods. Closer shots with a more open pattern allowing more room for
error and still have a few options for field hunting.

Happy

Your results mirror what my star dot did with the mag blends. I gave mine away and started with straight 5's. Realized that they were more than needed and settled on straight #6's. Those have worked extremely well along with the longbeard #5's. A lot of guys love the #7's. I just have never trusted them but in all fairness never tried them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

12point

Never tried or even saw a Star Dot but id like to try one from y'alls results.
If you try Apex 9's they will get the job done for you. I've gotten gobblers at 68 to 74 yards with them.

Squidkid

Quote from: 12point on March 06, 2021, 10:01:15 AM
Never tried or even saw a Star Dot but id like to try one from y'alls results.
If you try Apex 9's they will get the job done for you. I've gotten gobblers at 68 to 74 yards with them.

I actually considered some tss this year but seeing that I have no less than 6 loads that put between 188 and 282 in a ten inch circle for $2-$4 a round compared to $10, I think I'm good.

12point

Understand that. You will get your gobbler all day with what you are using at that distance.
Those are good patterns

Squidkid

Quote from: 12point on March 06, 2021, 11:26:26 AM
Understand that. You will get your gobbler all day with what you are using at that distance.
Those are good patterns

I'm more concerned about the size of my pattern at 16-25 yards.
I have a feeling this tss are going to be the size of a baseball.