turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

FF3 Red Dot...Fuzzy

Started by Hootin-N-Hammer, February 15, 2019, 08:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootin-N-Hammer

I mounted a FF3 yesterday and when I turn it on the dot is very fuzzy. I have pretty good eye sight so it's not me. Is that the way it's supposed to look? After spending that amount of money on a sight I would have thought the dot would be a little cleaner. Can someone else confirm that is how it's supposed to look or do I need to return this thing for another? I'm hoping I just got one with some defects.

Thanks!

Gog1015

Mine looks like a dot on the low setting but medium and high it gets fuzzy. I think it is because of my eyes though, I have an astigmatism which I do wear contacts for but it is still fuzzy for me. I have not tried another brand but I'm thinking about ordering a vortex or Nikon to see if it does the same thing.

turkey_slayer

Put it in manual and on the lowest setting. If that doesn't work you might be able to put tape over the sensor. That's what I had to do to my ff2. That's the main reason I went with the vortex venom over the ff3. 10 light settings vs 3

Prohunter3509

Yeah i have 2 one works great other i had to tape sensor
Works good now

Gog1015

What does the tape over the sensor help with, I may need to try this?

Thanks

yelpaholic

Prohunter3509

It makes the dot that auto. Not so bright and it wont turnto a star burst. It depends on how bright it is outside
In dim lowlight cond. I go to med power . bright i just turn to auto.

Hootin-N-Hammer

I'm going to try the tape trick and see if it works. Thanks for the help yall!

fmf

Did you mount it and just look at it indoors?  Under artificial light red dots look like trash to my eyes, there will be a circle of 5 or 6 dots. Under natural light they look perfectly fine for me.

the Ward

You can have decent vision and still have an astigmatism. Many people do and don't realize it. Take a picture of the red dot and see what it looks like. If it's a perfect dot, it is your eyes. Twangandbang on Utube channel had an episode that explained it pretty well, it was very interesting how your eye see the light from the dot. My guess is your red dot is fine. Also, as others have suggested, try it outside in natural light, it is easy to have them look too bright indoors and have them look like a starburst or halo effect. Good luck and hope you get it figured out, the FF3 is a great little sight!

sixbird

I remember there being a way to test if it's your eye or the sight. I think it involved looking through the sight and rotating it (like spinning it on it's axis). If the shape stays the same, meaning if the rays coming off of it rotate while you're spinning it, it's the sight. If it they stay in the same place, it's your eyes.
In any event, Burris is great with warranty. They'll make it right...

Prohunter3509

I have 2 one is perfect
The other i have to manipulate
Still happy with ff3
After seasoni will send back to burris so it will be like my other

JMalin

I second the astigmatism.  I bought a bushnell red dot last year and it appeared starred to me.  Looked at it through the lens of my phone camera and realized it was my eyes.

Bowguy

The astigmatism advice doesn't hold water imo.  Guys in this short thread alone have more than one fast fire w varying results. How come? The sight isn't well made imo. Mine was on only a few hours n returned

Fl strutter

Quote from: Bowguy on February 20, 2019, 03:34:00 AM
The astigmatism advice doesn't hold water imo.  Guys in this short thread alone have more than one fast fire w varying results. How come? The sight isn't well made imo. Mine was on only a few hours n returned
Actually astigmatism does cause red dots to be fuzzy or odd shaped. I have astigmasism in both eyes but wear contacts for them but red dots are still odd shaped. A good way ive found to find out if its it's because of a astigmatism is to wear a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at dot. If its fuzzy without sunglasses but is crisp and round with them its definitely your eyes. The way i account for my astigmatism is to turn the red dot down low as i can to were i can still see it good enough. The brighter it is the worst itll be. Another reason i went with a venom due to more adjustment of brightness