OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

red dots questions

Started by tha bugman, February 21, 2019, 09:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Debating on a FF3 or Venom...question...what is your experience with rain?  Does it speck the glass?  Also, durability?  would I need to buy a shroud with it? does it seem easier to sight in than a regular scope or iron sights?

dirt road ninja

Only owned the Burris.

Yes - rain, mud, dew, snow, grass, dust and any combination of them can get all over the glass and can/will obstruct view. Seemed to be durable, the metal shroud is not a bad idea. If you drop the gun on a hard surface and it lands on the scope it will break it. The shroud would prevent it. I did not have the shroud and had no durability issues when I used it. It sights in just as easy as a regular scope.

Duffer58

I've used a 3 MOA Venom the last 2 seasons.  I have been very happy with the site.  Durable and holds zero well.  I've had other lower priced red dots that didn't hold zero when shooting repeatedly or with big temperature swings (20 to 30 degrees).  I like the auto illumination mode for the red dot intensity.  One thing to be careful with is mounting the Venom to the mount base.  It is easy to over-torque the screws.  I recommend using something like a Wheeler Engineering FAT torque wrench.

Burris makes great products too.  I've never used one of their red dots but talking to folks who do they are very happy with them.  Aimpoint also makes good products.

If you have any other questions PM me.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom