OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I know this is a little off topic-back surgery  (Read 847 times)

Offline Vaughnrp2

I know this is a little off topic-back surgery
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »
For those of you that have had a diskectomy or micro diskectomy how long did it take you to get over the surgery? Do you still have back/leg pain?
I had a diskectomy l4-l5 last week and although the never pain is less than before surgery it definitely not gone.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:19:10 PM by Vaughnrp2 »

Offline Zilla

Re: I know this a little off topic-back surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »
The surgery should have alleviated the pressure on the nerve by the disc. Ideally you should have experienced an immediate reduction in symptoms. That said, how much damage the disc compression caused to the nerve dictates length of recovery. Could take months up to a full year to realize full effect of the surgery. Nerves are slow healers. Hope this helps.

Offline Vaughnrp2

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »
Pre operation the surgeon was sure he could take care of the sciatica but post operation he was unsure what the out come would be. Apparently there was some permanent never damage that he didn't forsee. Im just hoping to be able to walk a mile or so without much pain by late March. But at this point i think that maybe asking alot.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
Just be sure your doc gets you into a re-hab program ASAP.

I had some pretty major lower back surgery in 2006.  I have a VERY physical job and I've managed quite well.  I do have some residual nerve damage that reduces the feeling I have in my right calf and foot.  But it beats the %$#@ outta what I was going through, pre-operatively.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline J_mill

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:12:23 AM »
As previously mentioned, it is all dependent on the underlying problems that take time to heal themselves. I had my back done right before Christmas. I’d say it took a good 4-6 weeks before I was back to feeling decent. My best advice is DO NOT rush into things. Follow the Dr’s orders and follow your recovery program. Best of luck to you.

Offline camotoe

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:56:47 AM »
Mine was instant improvement . I did a lot of swimming for rehab worked great . Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vaughnrp2

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the input and words of support. The last year of living with this has been no fun at all. I can only hope that things will improve as the weeks pass.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
There can be a tremendous amount of post surgical inflammation and swelling, which will take a few weeks to improve. Regular outpatient physical therapy is key to maximizing your recovery.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline patoad

Re: I know this is a little off topic-back surgery
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:23 PM »
I had a herniated disc at the L5-S1 and had it fixed, don’t remember what the surgery was called, pain was gone immediately, was off work for 6 weeks and luckily the pain did not return. I feel for you, that pain is like no other...hope it gets better for you!

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
Re: I know this is a little off topic-back surgery
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:00:10 PM »
I had C-3,4,5 fused, my trouble was in my neck.  I was losing use and feeling in my left arm.  I couldn't feel the middle, ring, and pinky finger or lift a gallon jug of milk before surgery.  It took months for pain to go away and more than a year for nerve function to get back to normal.

Baby steps man.  A friend of mine told me "Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel is not necessarily a train coming."

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.