OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tristar Viper G2

Started by mossyoakpro, April 08, 2020, 09:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

Hey folks,

I'm getting back into the 20 gauge arena with the purchase of a Viper G2 turkey in MO Bottomland.  I have heard good things about them and for the price I figured I would give it a whirl.

I know it accepts Mobil chokes and I have a few on hand to try to include a Carlsons 575, Trulock TSS 7(no idea of the constriction) and a IC 555.  Of course I want to shoot the TSS loads which will be factory since I don't reload.  I do have a pretty decent amount of the Fed HW 7's on hand to give a try if someone thinks it's worthwhile to do so or go right to the TSS??

My question is:  Does anyone have any experience with any of the 3 chokes in a Tristar and if so what load did you use or are using?  I'm not opposed to buying or trading one of these chokes for another if need be.

Thanks in advance!!
Phillippians 4:13

BINK McCARTY

If I'm not mistaken your Trulock TSS choke is a  .560. Now, from what I've read using the Heavyweight #7s you might wanna try your TSS choke,however I've also heard that the Primos tightwad in  .570 is also a good combo....and there just happens to be a fella on here with one for sale for $20. In the "20 gauge chokes for sale" section Floppin Tom has it. Keep us updated on what you do and good luck brother!!!

WylieCoyote

I run a 555 IC in my TriStar and it patterned around 95% at 35 yards with Heavy 7's. I didn't bother checking the TSS because they have always fell in extremely close with the HW 7's. My Tstar is a Raptor though and as you know all guns pattern differently....
It worked well under 10 yards lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Upfold99

I shoot a .562 with tss 9s. Shoots 260s avg in the 10. Every once in a while it will put up something close to 300. If you want a hot core and something close to the 300. Shoot the IC. If you want a 250 number shoot the .575.

I have only shot apex. Not sure what others will do.

FYI... mine shot way low with bead

WylieCoyote

I have a trulock 565 I will sell, shot it one time with TSS. I tried it right off the bat without knowing POA/poi on the bead and most of my pattern missed the entire target
Already had the IC 555 and swampfox kingslayer on the way but I couldn't wait to shoot it one time lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ltprod

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mossyoakpro

Thanks for the replies so far!!  I'll be running a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it as well.  I'll shoot the ammo I have to see how it does...but I'm going to have to dip my toe in the TSS water just to see what it's all about.  LOL
Phillippians 4:13

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: mossyoakpro on April 09, 2020, 07:35:56 AM
Thanks for the replies so far!!  I'll be running a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it as well.  I'll shoot the ammo I have to see how it does...but I'm going to have to dip my toe in the TSS water just to see what it's all about.  LOL

Well...be prepared to jump in with both feet after you dip your toe!!! TSS 9s will kill as far as a person needs...IMO. That being said here are some really good options for ammo:
Foxtrot
Burgess creek
Apex
Boss Tom
Gamechanger TSS