OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Decoys

Started by Woodhaven, February 03, 2019, 04:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2019, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: SD_smith on February 03, 2019, 09:54:35 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2019, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: SD_smith on February 03, 2019, 05:07:10 PM
DSD look fantastic, but for my personal taste I like avians so you can fold them up
The disadvantage to the Avian is they need to be blown up. Lots of em leak and they surely couldn't take a pellet without repair. Also how you suppposed to blow em back up once you get somewhere? Everyone I know leaves em inflated. That alone always freaked me out(being a ballon essentially)
One advantage of them though is they're slightly smaller.
I recommend the DSD. The disadvantage of them is price. Put em side by side n you decide op. I think it's pretty obvious though

I don't disagree amigo. I just don't carry a separate decoy bag though and it's nice to be able to fold a couple up and stick in your vest. If I carried a decoy bag I'd definitely go with the DSDs. I haven't had any issues with shooting a decoy yet. My gun has a tight pattern and I usually shoot him when he walks away or before he gets there.

How do you blow em back up though?

I usually don't deflate all the way and only inflate about 2/3 way. I guess with practice I've gotten pretty quick at getting them set up in a hurry. I've found that in a pinch they usually don't mind if it's not fully inflated. That's not 100% of the time, but I've noticed it quite a bit.

Bowguy

Fireengine70

Ive used Avians for the past several years with good results. Nothing against any of the others, they're just what I used

CAPTJJ

CALLM2U

I went through this same process last year.  I ended up with a Avian X due to the collapsibility.   

I don't think they need to be blown all the way up, the seem to hold their shape well even partially full.   I don't hunt any fields so these have to be tucked away as I "run and gun"   

Jrkimbrough

DSD hands down.

I owned Avian's and liked them but in my opinion the realism was nowhere near that of the DSD decoys.  The Avians are collapsible but I rarely if ever carried mine like that.

Here's a comparison of the DSD and Avian...

RutnNStrutn

acesand8s

How durable are DSD? I don't mind spending money when it's a good investment.

ElkTurkMan

Another vote for DSD here.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: acesand8s on February 04, 2019, 04:29:48 PM
How durable are DSD? I don't mind spending money when it's a good investment.

If you haven't watched this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJohxI7wps#action=share

Nuff said.

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

Having never used them, I admit I'm not an expert on decoys. But are the super realistic decoys really nessecary. I get that head color on a strutting decoy could spook a subordinate Gobbler, but if there's a little too much pink or not enough gray on a hen decoys head does that really make a difference. Some of the decoys I've seen are almost like a taxidermist mount of a real hen.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 04, 2019, 09:06:21 PM
Having never used them, I admit I'm not an expert on decoys. But are the super realistic decoys really nessecary. I get that head color on a strutting decoy could spook a subordinate Gobbler, but if there's a little too much pink or not enough gray on a hen decoys head does that really make a difference. Some of the decoys I've seen are almost like a taxidermist mount of a real hen.

"Necessary"... Well it comes down to many things. I have had reactions from turkeys with my DSD's that I have never had with other decoys I have hunted/called over. My best DSD vs Avian was when my buddy had his Avian Hen out and we had a tom all worked up coming in and when he approached the set that tom walked right past his Avian to get to my DSD Hen. LOL just to say he now has DSD's :)

I used to use the old Feather Flex foam decoys and yes killed birds over them, but when I have a hen walk up to my DSD Feeding hen look at the ground and start pecking  to see what she is feeding on I'm sold.

MK M GOBL

PSEoutlaw07

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 04, 2019, 09:31:58 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 04, 2019, 09:06:21 PM

"Necessary"... Well it comes down to many things. I have had reactions from turkeys with my DSD's that I have never had with other decoys I have hunted/called over. My best DSD vs Avian was when my buddy had his Avian Hen out and we had a tom all worked up coming in and when he approached the set that tom walked right past his Avian to get to my DSD Hen. LOL just to say he now has DSD's :)

I used to use the old Feather Flex foam decoys and yes killed birds over them, but when I have a hen walk up to my DSD Feeding hen look at the ground and start pecking  to see what she is feeding on I'm sold.

MK M GOBL

Now that's what I'm talking about

KentuckyLB

i have 3 Avian X Decoy`s , 2 hens and a half strut jake. I do not leave them blowed up and one of my hens leak.. guess what she does not go flat entirely ,the hen still looks like a hen even with minimum air. Mine work this will be the 3rd year with them.

Harty

It's been a journey for me. HS strut, Avian, and now soon to be DSD.