OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Decoys

Started by Woodhaven, February 03, 2019, 04:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhaven

What is the best hen and gobbler decoy?

SD_smith

DSD look fantastic, but for my personal taste I like avians so you can fold them up

fallhnt

Deception

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on February 03, 2019, 06:17:13 PM
Badonkadeke
Waiting for it to hit the open market....lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Trying to start a fight? ;) ;D :lol:
That's a matter of personal preference.
My preference is DSD.

PSEoutlaw07

Hard to beat a DSD decoy, especially their hens, now the avians look good, and people say you can fold them up, but probably 95% of people don't deflate and fold them up when they are turkey hunting, they just pull up stake and grab and run, so if you don't deflate them then they are really no less hassle of toting then a dsd.

If you do buy an Avian, try and blow it up as much as you can in the store, make sure no leaks, I have heard of ppl having leaks right out of box. and if you ever get a leak in one after you buy, some black or clear silicone should patch you right up

MK M GOBL

DSD Decoys
DSDone
DSDeadly

Now depending how you hunt would make a choice in which ones you want. There's a lot that goes into hunting decoys "right".

"They're Dead Using the White Head!!"

MK M GOBL

SteelerFan

Gobble!

They are all realistic enough now to fool gobblers. Have money to burn buy DSD, Deception, or Avian.

Bowguy

Quote from: SD_smith on February 03, 2019, 05:07:10 PM
DSD look fantastic, but for my personal taste I like avians so you can fold them up
The disadvantage to the Avian is they need to be blown up. Lots of em leak and they surely couldn't take a pellet without repair. Also how you suppposed to blow em back up once you get somewhere? Everyone I know leaves em inflated. That alone always freaked me out(being a ballon essentially)
One advantage of them though is they're slightly smaller.
I recommend the DSD. The disadvantage of them is price. Put em side by side n you decide op. I think it's pretty obvious though

SD_smith

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2019, 09:51:41 PM
The disadvantage to the Avian is they need to be blown up. Lots of em leak and they surely couldn't take a pellet without repair. Also how you suppposed to blow em back up once you get somewhere? Everyone I know leaves em inflated. That alone always freaked me out(being a ballon essentially)
I recommend the DSD. The disadvantage of them is price. Put em side by side n you decide op. I think it's pretty obvious though

I don't disagree amigo. I just don't carry a separate decoy bag though and it's nice to be able to fold a couple up and stick in your vest. If I carried a decoy bag I'd definitely go with the DSDs. I haven't had any issues with shooting a decoy yet. My gun has a tight pattern and I usually shoot him when he walks away or before he gets there.

Bowguy

Quote from: SD_smith on February 03, 2019, 09:54:35 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2019, 09:51:41 PM

I don't disagree amigo. I just don't carry a separate decoy bag though and it's nice to be able to fold a couple up and stick in your vest. If I carried a decoy bag I'd definitely go with the DSDs. I haven't had any issues with shooting a decoy yet. My gun has a tight pattern and I usually shoot him when he walks away or before he gets there.

How do you blow em back up though?

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.