OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to Hoot

Started by Jourdan_D, February 11, 2011, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jourdan_D

I've nver gotten a shock gobble for a owl hoot.  I think i maybe doing something wrong, or my cheaper walmart hoot call just isn't cutting it.  Was alwasy told to blow "who cook for you, who cook for you all"

What do you guys do?

Cut*N*Run

I usually start with a one high, shrill note that rolls off. It's basically the "you all" part but with more excitement and a higher pitch to start. After a couple of those I do the standard "who cooks..." and then if all else fails, I'll go into some laughs that roll into that high first note again.

Not sure the Walmart call is the reason you aren't getting gobbles, but the Hook's owl call is hard to beat. It sounds so awesome and is really fun to work. If you're not getting gobbles with that, you won't be blaming the call, that's for sure.

Sometimes they just don't respond to the owl. Over the years, I've gotten tons more owls to respond than I have gobblers. A lot of times, when I'm trying to roost one in the evening, I'll follow the owl up with a crow call and sometimes a box call as a last resort. I know a coyote howler would work too, but I just can't get over the weirdness of making a bird gobble with a sound of something that would be trying to eat it.

Good Luck!

northms

I hoot with my mouth but also start off with a "whoooooooo-ahhhh" type sound.  The "who" in the who cooks for you.  Sometimes this is all that it takes.  If you go all the way through the whole series to start off with a lot of times you will miss the birds gobbling. 

Always start out with just a few notes, if not only one.

Also it doesn't work every time, it works more for me as it starts to warm up and the season progresses.  It is almost useless for me to do it at the beginning of the season. 

knightrider

i put the owl hoot to rest and have gone to a goose call works great

hookedspur

Quote from: knightrider on February 12, 2011, 10:08:45 PM
i put the owl hoot to rest and have gone to a goose call works great
:icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

kyhareraiser

maybe through the who cooks for you ,who cooks for you all sequence,the gobbler has alredy shock gobbled and you did'nt here it ..try with ust a loud  single whooooooooo from your call and listen..most of the time that works but then again also,you maybe taking to long to make the call .kinda do it quicker and put yourself into the call..be the owl ,kinda .listen to some owls in the wild this spring and imitate them

Boomstick

This is some great info I was kinda wondering the same thing. I may switch to a goose call myself
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness