North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Calls & Calling: Guide to Improving Your Turkey-Talking Skills

Started by Sir-diealot, September 12, 2018, 11:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 27, 2019, 09:00:39 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 27, 2019, 01:16:08 AM
I learned alot in the beginnings years ago through reading books which started another addiction of collecting them. Lots of ways to learn,but nothing wrong with a good book if you have the time. Not all are how to's and can also make you a better turkey hunter.
I am beginning to enjoy the ones where they are sharing memories more than the how to's lately. I had gotten a hold of a book from Amazon called "Somewhere Along The Way" It was a short book, only 124 pages but the man wrote so well it was like you were there with him. He was not a blow hard for this brand or that brand and did not tell you how to do things, he just shared his love and memories of the sport and made you want hear him telling you about them.
If you like stories, I would recommend Bad Birds by Jim Spencer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on January 28, 2019, 02:55:59 AM
I learned alot in the beginnings years ago through reading books which started another addiction of collecting them. Lots of ways to learn,but nothing wrong with a good book if you have the time. Not all are how to's and can also make you a better turkey hunter.
I am beginning to enjoy the ones where they are sharing memories more than the how to's lately. I had gotten a hold of a book from Amazon called "Somewhere Along The Way" It was a short book, only 124 pages but the man wrote so well it was like you were there with him. He was not a blow hard for this brand or that brand and did not tell you how to do things, he just shared his love and memories of the sport and made you want hear him telling you about them.

No joke, when I first read this I thought it said Big Bird and I was wondering if Mr. Snuffleupagus was in there too? I will look that up, thanks. Edit: I thought it sounded familiar, it is already in my list but thank you, the more people suggest the same book the more I become interested in it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tomstopper

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 28, 2019, 01:07:11 PM

No joke, when I first read this I thought it said Big Bird and I was wondering if Mr. Snuffleupagus was in there too? I will look that up, thanks. Edit: I thought it sounded familiar, it is already in my list but thank you, the more people suggest the same book the more I become interested in it.
Lol. You will enjoy it

Marc

Experience trumps all...  But, for the inexperienced a good book with a good video or two can help make those initial experiences more valuable.

I started turkey hunting in my 20's from scratch...  I did not even understand that you really need to shoot them in the head.  I was amazed they could fly so well.

I wish I could remember the name of the book I first read, but it discussed shot placement, how to detect turkey sign, and how to read it (i.e. telling tom footprints and poop from hens), and discussed bird behavior, food sources, and habitat...  No doubt but that this book gave me a head start and increased my learning curve.

I took the advice of the book and started with a box call, and by the end of the season was using a mouth-call...  Took me a while to learn that making them gobble with a call is not always the best choice.

I still like to read a good article on turkey hunting from someone with more or different experiences than I have had.  I suppose if I ever really figure it out, I'll lose interest....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on January 28, 2019, 10:28:58 PM
Experience trumps all...  But, for the inexperienced a good book with a good video or two can help make those initial experiences more valuable.

I started turkey hunting in my 20's from scratch...  I did not even understand that you really need to shoot them in the head.  I was amazed they could fly so well.

I wish I could remember the name of the book I first read, but it discussed shot placement, how to detect turkey sign, and how to read it (i.e. telling tom footprints and poop from hens), and discussed bird behavior, food sources, and habitat...  No doubt but that this book gave me a head start and increased my learning curve.

I took the advice of the book and started with a box call, and by the end of the season was using a mouth-call...  Took me a while to learn that making them gobble with a call is not always the best choice.

I still like to read a good article on turkey hunting from someone with more or different experiences than I have had.  I suppose if I ever really figure it out, I'll lose interest....
\
Sounds a lot like this book by Lovett E. Williams, Jr. that I am reading right now, Book of the Wild Turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on January 28, 2019, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 28, 2019, 01:07:11 PM

Lol. You will enjoy it

I just picked it up on ebay.

John Koenig:

tomstopper

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Best way to learn to call like a turkey is to listen to Real live turkeys. Next best thing is Lovett  Williams cds of recorded real turkeys with lovetts explanation of each call and its meaning.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 01, 2019, 10:28:29 AM
Best way to learn to call like a turkey is to listen to Real live turkeys. Next best thing is Lovett  Williams cds of recorded real turkeys with lovetts explanation of each call and its meaning.
I have one of Lovett's CD's, I am going to get one more but if it is like the one I have now I am sorry to say I like the Spittin Feathers ones better. But that is based on only one of his CD's mind you, I may get the other and fall in love. lol I do agree that experience is the best teacher but books can help open you to trying things you may not have thought of before.

Edit: The one I have already from Lovett is Real Turkeys III

John Koenig:

randy6471

There are several good CD's out there, but Spitting Feathers is one of the best.

Some of the older dvd/videos provide lots of good info and some great turkey talk. The ones by Denny Gulvas, Paul Butski, Dick Kirby, Pimos and others from back in the day....before the current line of BS infomercials.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: randy6471 on February 02, 2019, 07:04:04 PM
  There are several good CD's out there, but Spitting Feathers is one of the best.

Some of the older dvd/videos provide lots of good info and some great turkey talk. The ones by Denny Gulvas, Paul Butski, Dick Kirby, Pimos and others from back in the day....before the current line of BS infomercials.
So long as it is Dick Kirby and not his son, got to meet him at an NWTF event on Batavia NY back in 98 and he was one of the most arrogant self involved jerks I have ever met in my life. He is one of the reason I stopped buying their calls as a matter of fact.

John Koenig: