OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gizzard Stones

Started by spurred63, July 01, 2022, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

very nice MS double, those bottles look old, are they? and what is in the frame to the left, looks interesting.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They are old medicine bottles. That is a button from the war between the states in the frame.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

firedup

blake_08

Quote from: 3bailey3 on July 04, 2022, 09:15:40 PM
very nice MS double, those bottles look old, are they? and what is in the frame to the left, looks interesting.

I know MS double already replied, but those bottles are pushing 100 years old. Notice the rim of the bottle isn't threaded for a lid, those bottles were cork closure bottles. My dad is big into "bottle hunting". He has thousands of old bottles he's found in old junk yards and house places. It's neat to see old glass bottles of products that today are in plastic and aerosol containers.

I keep gizzard stones but never thought to repurpose dad's old glass bottles that way. Thanks for the idea MS double.

3bailey3

This is a bottle I found this turkey season, someone told me it was from early 1900, that's why I was asking about the bottles, now I need to kill some turkeys with some rocks in them.

KentuckyHeadhunter

The technical name is gastroliths.  (Latin gastro and lithic- stomach and stone)
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

cwhitfield96

Looking to do this. For most turkeys would a 20 ml jar work or should I get 30 ml ?

Turkeybutt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1g--gA1Po
I posted this before but somebody might enjoy it. If you collect the stones from various turkeys in different areas and place them in a class tumbler it starts to look like one of those sand sculptures like back in the 70's or 80's

Greg Massey

I've never saved the stones, but I have saved the liver and used it for catfish bait and have caught some nice catfish.

PharmHunter

Empty Wild Turkey 101 bottles work great for holding/displaying them.