turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Big Day in South Ga!

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 24, 2024, 02:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

My boy got his first bird today! He is 12 and has gone with me a few times in the past couple of years but hasn't had much interest in the longer days. It's hard to keep them interested on public land in the South East where birds can be few and far between and often times quiet with plenty of pressure. But this year had been different, the first time he went we had 4 gobbling within 1000 yards and I think that lit a spark, the next time we went he got to see one at 100 yards (He got busted moving too much) the next time we went I had my good buddy tag along and we had a bird come hammering in on us gobbling 30+ times.  My buddy was set up in such a way he was the only one with a good shot and the bird got nervous and started to leave so he let it fly.  Unfortunately, he pulled the shot and the bird hauled tail out of there.

I had been seeing that same Tom and a Jake running around together on my trail cameras so I knew he stayed in the area. We went in about 100 yards from the original spot on Saturday and did some light calling.  Never seen anything, stood up to move areas after a couple hours and that same tom was right there to the left at 20 yards and busted us.... 100% my fault, I know better.

Today, they had a half day of school they are not required to attend.  He had been begging and pleading his case (All A's and only one B) as to why he should be allowed to miss it for turkey hunting. He had a good case, so we packed up last night.  Got out a little late this morning but got back in there where we knew the two had been hanging out for the past week.  I did some light calling on my new Enticer Silver Thunder every 30 or so minutes.  3 hours into our sit, my boy who was 4 feet in front of me said "Birds" and slowly pulled his gun up.  They were around a corner, and I couldn't see from my position.  I had him whisper to me what they were doing.  He told me they were feeding and walking away, so I hit a quick cluck cluck yelp yelp yelp.  They came running in, Jake first and Tom in full strut straight to his end. 

This was in fact the same bird my buddy missed.  When I was cleaning it I found a #5 pellet in his breastbone.  Explains why he had gone completely silent and stopped gobbling.  Anyway, thanks for reading. I know my boy is over the moon right now. Y'all be safe.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Very nice gobbler, congrats to you both...

JeffC

Congrats to the young hunter! Awesome job to the both of you!! I am sure he is hooked now. Thanks for sharing, Dad, great pictures and read.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

NCL

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

eddie234

Congratulations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Turkeybutt

Your sons smile says it all. Great job to both of you! Thank you for sharing.

3bailey3

Ranman

Exciting day for sure, congrats.