OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single reed call makers

Started by kdfester, February 13, 2019, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfester

My mentor in the turkey woods is looking for a new single reed diaphragm call to run this year. He was using an OLD (20 or 30 year) Perfection. Looking for some call makers that may be on par with that .  Thanks.

EZ

Here's a link to Perfection calls. They got the single reed but I'd suggest the double D.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-calls-mouth-single-perfection-red.htm

kdfester

Bowguy

Just a curiosity question? What does he do w a single reed? Maybe kee kee or something. Many manufactures have very light two reeds that whistle easier imo. Just an fyi.

compton30

Quote from: Bowguy on February 14, 2019, 07:09:02 AM
Just a curiosity question? What does he do w a single reed? Maybe kee kee or something. Many manufactures have very light two reeds that whistle easier imo. Just an fyi.

If you follow the link EZ posted you can hear some sound clips of a fella running the call. Whistles, purrs, yelps. Sounds good, but has it's limitations as you'd expect.

Bowguy

Quote from: compton30 on February 14, 2019, 07:34:56 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 14, 2019, 07:09:02 AM

If you follow the link EZ posted you can hear some sound clips of a fella running the call. Whistles, purrs, yelps. Sounds good, but has it's limitations as you'd expect.
I didn't look at it. Doesn't really interest me but that's what I'm saying. It prob is limited. All calls have strengths and weaknesses.  Other makers have thin double reed same way. It was just an option for him to look into.

RaspyD

You can still get the single reed Red from Perfection.  Still made by the same hands as the old one your friend was using.  Jim Clay has made more mouth calls than anyone in the country and has been making them since 1971.  Give him a call at 1-800-yelp(9357).  He is one of the most knowledgeable turkey hunters and mouth call makers you will ever talk to.
Perfection Turkey Calls

kdfester

Thanks for the info.  He calls very little and not very loud. As you know the single has a niche and he works it well.  Learned alot of basic skills that once mastered will not matter the call used.