OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on decoy setup

Started by ugaDAWGS09, January 09, 2019, 09:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harty

Early season I'm in a blind. Late season I'm on the move with a decoy or two . If set up allows I don't even use them late season,
I've had good results with the Jake set up. But when posting a mature strutter(pretty boy borrowed from my brother) I've had too many Toms crest the hill and turn tail. Just lost confidence I guess.

MK M GOBL

So something I have seen and read with the "Pretty Boy" and have heard it said that as soon as they see him birds head away. My first White Headed Strutter "BIG PUFFY" I made was in 1999 and from a Feather Flex Tommy Decoy and is small in stature, I have taken notice that Pretty Boy is a large decoy, I have never hunted over one but wonder if there is something to that... I did change to "King Strut" when he came out and doctored up his head and now added wings to the decoy by their design, I liked the detailed head they were putting on this decoy and that he was flocked, hunted him for a long time and in 2011 DSD released their Strutter, I picked one up at the end of the season and made several changes to the decoy including my White Head design. Just a note to this DSD did just release a Jake Strutter, already have mine and I am fixing him up! Wanted the smaller sized decoy for mobility.

I have killed a number of "late season" birds with my White Head and a single hen decoy, either my Feeding Hen or Upright Hen. This is one of my seasonal sets. My picture of my bird "Hook" is of just that type of set, a late season longbeard that was the dominant tom in the area. I'll ad the link to that story, it's a good read :)

If I knew more of your set and situation I could offer some advise from my expierences. "Nothing is ever 100% but I do run over 90."

Here's Hook http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,58988.msg578460.html#msg578460

Pics of NEW DSD "Jake" Strutter
My bird Hook
and the set I killed him on, hay was getting pretty tall late season

MK M GOBL

Harty

Nice read on ol' hook indeed. You must have been elated when  you got im!