OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Dirty Birds - for my children

Started by Grey Owl, January 19, 2019, 06:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

The "Dirty Bird"

When I was a little boy a lot of the bear hunters had a radio name. My Dad was called "Dirty Bird". These 3 box calls are made from mineral stained poplar that Daddy cut here on the farm before he passed away. In his honor I'm calling these calls The Dirty Birds.

I'm giving one to each of my three kids Ben Jones, Hannah D Barnes & Lydia Jones. Someday when they're old I'm hoping they'll remember their Papaw Berry who bought the farm, their Grandaddy Terry who cut the logs and their Daddy who made the calls. Their heritage is in these. I don't want them to ever forget who they are and where they came from.

kdfester

Great story. I'm sure they will be honored and will cherish them.

3bailey3

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Beautiful calls and love the story behind their creation

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Deputy 14

That's great, awesome way for family to remember and will be heirlooms to pass down.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bornagain64

ddturkeyhunter

Keep sakes for life are always great!

Grey Owl

Spring Creek Calls

Very nice fatherly gesture. Still have a piece of that poplar, about enough for 2 scratch boxes.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Grey Owl

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 21, 2019, 01:27:01 PM
Very nice fatherly gesture. Still have a piece of that poplar, about enough for 2 scratch boxes.

These calls are from the same batch.

SCGobbler

Love the story
Love the history
Love the legacy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

sixbird

Perfect and thoughtful...I have a few calls that my children, who don't turkey hunt, will inherit. I hope they cherish them...