turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Apex vs Federal tss

Started by chuckward, January 03, 2019, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUN-N-GUN

I shot the 3 1/2" federals out of my supermag last year and they did great. That being said I had a chance to shoot the apex today and I will be ordering some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I shot one Apex the other day to see how they pattern. I am impressed!  20 ya. 40 yards.  258 in the 10" circle.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gen.27:3

Anyone else with experience, and an opinion on Apex vs Federal? I need to order some tss soon to try.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

kytrkyhntr

Apex number 9's in my 20 were great.
That small town blend was useless. I'd rather shoot hevi shot number 7 if we're refering to 20 gauges. I had a round not fire properly. The apex is tough. Federals patterened good too. Again straight 9s. Don't waste your time with that small town blend. Apex were better than federals but price and availability have me leaning federal. Can't speak on the 12 gauge apex but the federal straight 9's out of a 12 gauge were damn fine. I don't count the hits. I just look at what covers. Just my  :z-twocents:
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Zilla

I tried both and the Apex patterned better out of my gun.

MS Boy

I have tried and put both shotgun shells on target with 3" shells and the Apex is better than the Federal.
Just a little hint don't forget about Nitro TSS I have shot ever TSS load out there and my gun likes the Nitro TSS load the best here is a pic at 35 yards

Chordeiles

Here's a video I found on YouTube. The Federal is a lot cheaper and easier to find, where I'm at.

https://youtu.be/koC8Vyl-Pvo

Jim K

I bought a Franchi this winter. Federal don't cycle through it. Third degree and apex are fine. The federal are 3/16" longer than the apex shells and about an eighth longer than the third degree shells. I'm sure this is the reason. So, unless I want to shoot a single shot I have to shoot apex.

TScottW99

Good question!

I'm having trouble finding any locally, smacking myself for not buying any at Nashville. Looking to try some in my 20 gauge.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

wchadw

Quote from: davisd9 on January 03, 2019, 08:01:27 PM
Apex should cause of payload, but I would use the feds

X2 apex patterns better but I am using Feds due to quality issues/concerns with Apex. Plus feds are easier to find

deltaeta

My 20 gauge M2 patterned better with the federal #9 vs the Apex.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

deerpoo22

If you're spending this much money might as well get Nitro TSS and call it a day

WV Flopper

Shot Nitros and Federals yesterday, both TSS #9. The Federals were good and even, nice pattern. The Nitros were even and tighter. I didn't make a pellet count, don't need too. The Nitros were the obvious leader in pellets on target. I will say that if you are running low on the Nitros and see some of the Federals pick them up. Hold them back in case you get in a pinch. Without paper you probably will not ever see the difference.

yelpaholic

do either one of those shells use a Mylar wrap ? Just curious my handloads call for one .

Gobble!

Quote from: deerpoo22 on March 02, 2019, 01:50:36 AM
If you're spending this much money might as well get Nitro TSS and call it a day

I'd take Apex or Federal after by experience with Nitro. Seals failed and I ended up with a pocket full of buffer.