turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning camo gun paint

Started by turkaholic, December 16, 2018, 05:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

My go to turkey shotgun's camo finish is coming off. This Browning Gold is about 12 years old and has been peeling for a few years now. The stock is getting sticky. Anyone else have this happen. They say to keep bug spray away from it, and I have tried. I was planning to call Browning and see if I can get it redone.
live to hunt hunt to live

bchilde

Have you looked into cerakote? Iv seen them do camouflage and they say it will last forever.

Yoder409

Same thing happened to the Dura Touch finish on my Super X3.  It wasn't bug spray or anything else YOU did.  It's just a flawed product from Winchester/Browning.

I called their customer service and the guy told me the Dura Touch isn't supposed to do that.........but it does.  Told me to send it back to them and they'd fix it.  COOL BEANS !!!   So I sent it to them..............  They received the gun on March 5th, 2018.   You get an on-line service tracking number so you can watch the gun's "progress".  My Estimated Completion Date was August 7, 2018.   Somewhere in October, I called them to see if my gun was lost or what ??  Guy said "We're working on February/March guns now, so........"    So, OK............   

Just ran my service tracking number through the Browning website now.  As of 04:00 today, my gun has not "progressed" any farther than it was in October when I last called.  I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth because, as I understand it, they are doing a complete refurbishment of the gun for me for FREE.  But, DANGIT !!!!!!!!!  It's been over 9 months !!!!!   What if that was my only turkey gun ???   When I sent it off, I expected I'd likely have it back for last spring season..........  Now it's looking like I ain't gonna get it back for THIS spring season..............

So.....................after my rant, and in a nutshell........... If it is your ONLY shotgun, go buy another cheap one to use for a year or so.  Call Browning's customer service.  Send them your gun for a refurbishment.  Be PAINFULLY patient.  Their customer service apparently sucks.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Upfold99

Have sent a couple stocks nack to browning. They did send nack new stocks and forearm that were not sticky. However, they got sticky again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2eagles

Duratouch went to crap on my BPS and Browning Silver. The BPS was only used one season and spent its whole life in the safe. I've used the Silver hard. I'd heard so many horror stories about customer service, I decided to do something on my own and found Googone and lots of work would remove the sticky rubber.
The BPS had a Shadowgrass Camo finish and the Googone took off the rubber, but it left the remaining color very faded. I ended up taking the gun to a smith who removed the remaining finish and then painted it a very dark chocolate color to match a brown in the shadowgrass. I sold the gun this fall to a man just learning to hunt this fall at a bargain price and he loves the gun. Truth is it does look real good.
My Silver has been used so much a lot of this rubber had rubbed off  before I realized it was happening. This summer I used Googone on it with much better results. The Duckblind color under the duratouch didn't fade at all, so now it's all the same color with no difference between the plastic and metal. I was able to remove about 96% of the Duratouch and am going to kill birds and call me happy.
Too bad they didn't do more r&d before such a crappy product hit the shelves. I and another guy made negative comments on a Browning sponsored Facebook ad about Duratouch and our comments were both deleted. Go figure. Good luck with your gun!

HartClemson99

I have a Traditions Muzzleloader that is dipped and the stock has become sticky as well.  It's in Mossy Oak Treestand and I think it's about 10-12 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

turkaholic

This does not sound good. I really like my Browning Gold it has served me well and I hate to change thing up I'm rather superstitious. I do love buying guns though. Does Browning still use Dura Touch? I would buy another Browning if it's a different finish. Well my veins seem to be moving turkey blood thru my body already, guess I will be focusing on this problem more seriously now. Thanks for the comments.
live to hunt hunt to live

Just bought a camo browning cynergy O/U that doesn't have the dura touch.It is the turkey model.