turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting excited for 2019 Spring turkey season-Bowhunting

Started by RED NECK, December 06, 2018, 08:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I have 3 1/2 weeks left for bow hunting whitetails and then a long wait until spring but I am currently getting my equipment set up for bow hunting turkeys in april & may of next spring.

For this coming season I will be picking up the dsd flock of decoys,new ground blind and recently purchased 4 packs of rocket hammerheads and 2 packs of the wasp dueler broadheads.I can't wait for the spring....looks like it is going to be a long cold winter with lots of snow,It has been a horrible fall weather wise,the worst I have seen in 39 years....I am ready for spring already!

How many of you bow hunt turkeys and what is your equipment?I have used bullheads off and on for years but this coming year it will be big cutting mechanicals,as I also have executioners and hypodermics in the collection,I may add 1 or 2 more options before the end of winter.

The last few years I purchased lots of custom calls and vests etc,so this year it was time for a bigger blind,decoys and more broadheads.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Sir-diealot

I was hoping to bow hunt them this Spring but fell on my shoulder a few months ago that I had surgery on in January and re injured it. I saw my surgeon on Tuesday and we are going to try a shot in the shoulder and see if that helps so I am hopeful that maybe I still can. I was going try it way back in the Spring of 2002 but had my car accident in Nov. 2001 and was not able to hunt for 17 years really because of that, so it is something I have wanted to try for a long time.

I have never been a fan of mechanical broadheads myself, I am of the opinion if it can fail then it will fail and I don't want to injure an animal so I have always liked the cut on impact broadheads. The other reason I do not like mechanical broadhead is a friend who was a bowhunter safety course instructor for many years and I did a few experiments with them way back in 2000 or 2001 shooting into layered targets and layers of 2x4 and the penetration difference was huge with the cut on impact broadheads going much deeper every time with the 2x4's and the layered target and the mechanical broadheads not opening all the way in the layered target sometimes failing to open partially or completely . I was interested in using them before that but have not wanted anything to do with them since. I would like to try some of the guillotines broadheads, that way it is more of a clean hit or a clean miss situation.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RED NECK

I am not interested in getting into a debate about the use of mechanical broadhead,I really do not care what others use but please do not try and derail this thread.If you want to start a debate start a thread that suits your agenda.This thread is about getting equipment ready and excitement for the upcoming season.

MK M GOBL

We/I bow hunt for turkey every spring, this past spring stood out as I had 2 bowhunters take their first ever turkey with a bow!!

We had some great success this last spring, a few misses but no lost birds. And my one friends bird was a STUD.

We set up in a Double Bull Deluxe (Double Wide) and the DSD's are with, I use a "White Headed" DSD Strutter I designed, a Jake and a mix of upright, feeding, leading and breeding hens. I film the the hunts and we set up close!! 10-12 yards is the norm and nothing like having that tom in your face! Killed a dozen birds last spring and 4 were bow birds, a few from youth season and learn to hunt, I tagged a some birds including another double and a few other friends. Can't wait for the Sping Season, just put in application for our draw a few weeks ago!

If you are ever looking for pointers or have questions on setups just let me know and I can let you know what has worked for us.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

RED NECK

Nice birds,I also do a little guiding and kind of looking for other die hard bowhunters to chime in with their turkey setups with a bow...I found last year I used my primos club blinds and they were a tad small for myself and I used my herters when I took someone else,so my main priority is a bigger blind and the dsd dekes.I have had good luck with the dekes I am running but the funds allow me to pick the flock up this year.

I have shot birds with fixed,mechanicals and bullheads over the years but am I going full mechanical going forward for this year at least.

What do you use to video the hunts?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on December 06, 2018, 10:13:45 AM
I am not interested in getting into a debate about the use of mechanical broadhead,I really do not care what others use but please do not try and derail this thread.If you want to start a debate start a thread that suits your agenda.This thread is about getting equipment ready and excitement for the upcoming season.
I did not in any way try to start a debate nor did I try to derail the thread, I merely spoke an opinion of what I would like to use and gave reasons as to why I feel that way.

I have no agenda, just an opinion and it is a pity anybody would feel that it was spoken in any other way, shows we argue among ourselves to much when we should be supporting one another.

I am sorry you misunderstood my comment. You are welcome to use what you want, I am not like some others I have seen that think you are not a real hunter if you do not use what they think you should.

What kind of blind are you thinking of getting? I have a few myself. Have learned that not all blinds are good for bow hunting, and some are but not with larger bows like mine which is 37" axle-to-axle. I have a nice Barronet Pentagon blind that is plenty roomy but I am not sure I would want to carry it all over the place, I prefer to set it and leave it if I can. I also have a Ameristep Doghouse which is nice for me with gun but not tall enough for my bow though it might work with one of the new shorter bows. I have a Ameristep 2 man chair blind, I don't like it for bow hunting at all though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

RED NECK

I bow hunted last spring and fall with a v37 in my tiny little blinds,I plan on using what I want and have for years,I know for a fact that broadheads and equipment have come along way in 17-18 years.I have an idea of the blind I am purchasing,You should shoot what you like and let others do the same thing,a big cutting mechanical is a better choice than a small fixed blade for turkey hunting,there is no doubt at all.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on December 06, 2018, 02:03:27 PM
I bow hunted last spring and fall with a v37 in my tiny little blinds,I plan on using what I want and have for years,I know for a fact that broadheads and equipment have come along way in 17-18 years.I have an idea of the blind I am purchasing,You should shoot what you like and let others do the same thing,a big cutting mechanical is a better choice than a small fixed blade for turkey hunting,there is no doubt at all.

By this line you are really still misunderstanding me "You should shoot what you like and let others do the same thing" Shoot what you want, I said that.

I had 2 problems shooting out of the Doghouse blind, one was that the bow would hit the top of the blind making noise, the second was as I drew my bow back my draw arm or my bow arm would hit either the front or back of the blind every time making noise. I do shoot from the seated position though, that might explain why I am hitting the roof, not sure if it would the hitting front and back though.

John Koenig:

MK M GOBL

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on December 06, 2018, 01:08:55 PM
Nice birds,I also do a little guiding and kind of looking for other die hard bowhunters to chime in with their turkey setups with a bow...I found last year I used my primos club blinds and they were a tad small for myself and I used my herters when I took someone else,so my main priority is a bigger blind and the dsd dekes.I have had good luck with the dekes I am running but the funds allow me to pick the flock up this year.

I have shot birds with fixed,mechanicals and bullheads over the years but am I going full mechanical going forward for this year at least.

What do you use to video the hunts?

We have a few cameras, Canon Vixia G30 & XA30's and a B-roll GoPro for "selfie" shot and Tactacam for Hunter perspective. I use it on my solo hunts as well, tripod setup makes a world of difference.

MK M GOBL

SinGin

You will really like the Rocket Hammerheads for turkeys. Pretty tuff blades and a nice wide cut

RED NECK

That is quite a camera setup,the tactacam seems to take pretty decent video,I am just using a safari on my stabilizer that I bought at work a few years back,It takes decent video out to about 30 yards,I have always wanted to film more but when I get an animal that i want to kill in bow range I usually say...screw it and make the kill,but I have gotten a handful of kills over the years on video.

The hammerheads were on sale and I ended up with 6 packs of them,I may pick up the spitfire xxx,spitfire double cross,maxx or gobbler getter as well as some wasp jak hammers.It will just depend if they go on sale sometime this winter.

RED NECK

I am not new to bowhunting and definitely not new to tuning bows as I do it for a living along with years of experience in the outdoors ,working in different areas.I am purchasing the flock so I have them all,not to put them in front of me every time out.Only a slob would not tune or get their gear dialed in properly,I deal with multiple slobs every week and the majority of them try and blame their equipment when it really is that they are clueless and should not be bowhunting.

RED NECK

which mechanicals have you had issues with,I have killed animals with these and never seen one problem.

-wasp jak hammer 1 3/4
-rage 3 blade
-rage 2 blade chisel tip
-rage hypo
-gravedigger
-bipolar
-grim reaper 1 3/8 razortip
-grim reaper fatal steel
-nap spitfire

I know I only started shooting them a decade ago as I shot thunderheads and muzzy's since I was 13.There is no way I am going back to a fixed broadhead for turkey hunting.I have to believe that most do not use a properly setup bow,or set the broadhead up incorrectly.

RED NECK

I spoke with my dsd decoy dealer today and the plan is to get in touch with him mid january and go from there,if he can't get the flock in for me,I will take a 4 hr drive in march and pick them up.Time to figure out which two bows I will use for strictly bird hunting this spring.

I also am just waiting for the blind I want to go on sale,as I know for a fact it goes on sale three times before the start of april.That was my job for years, to order and get the products in store and ready for the sales.

-23 here today or I would be in the stand with the bow chasing a whitetail.I guess it is time to shop for more big cutting mechanicals for turkey season.