OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Little Help With New Mexico Please

Started by Panhandle_strutter, November 09, 2018, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panhandle_strutter

I know most are deer hunting at the moment but we are always thinking about Spring and chasing gobbling longbeards. That being said, I'm in Panama City, FL and we took a direct hit from Hurricane Michael. It looks like my deer hunting is going to be cut very short, if not non-existent due to the destruction and devastation here. It really is unbelievable until you see it for yourself. So, to ease the pain I've started the initial steps of planning our annual out of state turkey trip. We've hit Nebraska, South Dakota, and Oklahoma so far and while its tempting to go back to places, we enjoy the challenge of new states and seeing what they have to offer. We know being in shape is a must! There seem to be good options all over the state, just needing a little help on some of the better regions and for anyone who has hunted NM what week or weeks seem to be most productive. Here in FL late second week/third week always seem to be really good. Thank you in advance and please keep us in your prayers, we have a very long road to recovery here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mufishgrad

Sorry to you got caught in that hurricane. Hopefully your spring season can be a successful one. So I hunt the Northern part of New Mexico and have luck getting on birds there year after year. The most popular areas in the state are in the Gila and Lincoln National forests, so you would be dealing with more birds but also more people down there. I would say start by picking a national forest to start. The Carson, Santa Fe, Lincoln, Gila, and Cibola are the main national forests in New Mexico for turkey hunting. There are birds down lower on patches of BLM and state lease land, but there is a lot more map work and research to be done in order to hunt these areas. They are also more primarily areas for Rio Grandes.

Once you get a forest in mind that you want to go for I would say narrow down your search to a specific side or piece of that unit and find areas with water even seasonal tanks and springs to figure where you want to go to hunt. I will find gobblers in areas that don't have any water in the canyon at all as they do travel a lot off the roost, but the odds are they will have to come through the water areas at some point or another in the course of a day. I would also pay attention to the weather as it gets closer to your hunt or deciding where to go. The amount of snowpack we get has a huge impact on the movement of birds and where they will be. This past winter was rather dry and many hunters I've talked to have said the birds were not where they usually were at that time of year, although I will say that I was able to get into gobbling birds throughout the season.

Most of the residents will hunt the first weekend of the season, and pressure tapers off after that. It looks like this next year is starting on a Monday which can be good. I've gotten into gobbling birds throughout the season like I've said, but I would go with the start or end of the season if I was hunting from out of state.

misfire

I hunted the Lincoln National Forest a few years ago with SNM Turkey hunts. Went towards the end of April. Birds were still henned up, but still had no problem filling a tag.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Kylongspur88

I have no idea about turkeys in NM but my wife and I spent a week there this past summer and fell in love with the state. It's a beautiful place and the people were all friendly. I did see one hen off the side of the road while driving through Carson NF.... I'm always looking no matter where I am. Good luck