OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you were going to build the ultimate single shot..Updated--Pulled the trigger

Started by JDogg, April 25, 2011, 12:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Quote from: JDogg on May 05, 2011, 06:47:00 PM
Alright you guys talked me into it and I just won the Gunbroker auction on this SSI.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227457989

Now I still need your help.  First off choke?  I will be shooting Hevi's either all 7s or 6x7s.  I want long range density since it will have scope. So which scope I see alot of guys like the simmons pro diamond.  Any reason not to get that one?  Okay here's the big question.  I hunt mostly public land with real weary birds and I'm not comfortable leaving it blued.  So should I get it dipped, or paint it a more natural color.  I thought about Cerakoting the barrel and action in a muted green(kinda like that new berratta) then refinishing the stock in a very matte finish.

Congratulations! You made a great buy. That gun has a very subdued finish. I've hunted hard hunted public ground birds with mine and never had a problem being spotted. I'd recommend that you try it "as is" before any refinishing.

I've shot several of the Pro Diamond scopes and they work just fine. They are tough.

You will need a pad of some type on that gun. I just use a slip on SF pad over the butt and it works very well.

Again, congratulations on your fine gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

JDogg

What choke is the top shot with Hevi 7's right now? 

I was thinking about a Kickeez pad which I've heard good things about, but have no experience.

woodchip

Man, I've got a bad itch for one of those,  I watched that auction and almost bid on it.  I've been trying to find one lacally at gun shops, pawn shops but had no luck.  That was a good price the last one went for $299 plus shipping best I remember.  I found one at a local gunshop but it was a rifled barrel 12ga and they had $289 on it.

cannonball

Skeeterbait

Stick an Indian Creek .675 in that thing and you have an instant 50 yard gun.  I personally would not dip or paint a single shot action.  Too hard to disassemble the trigger and sear group and I would not want the water and ink  or paint getting inside it.  You could do everything but the action though.

Be sure and give us pictures when you finish!

WyoHunter

Congrats on your purchase! Scope it, put on a Sims Recoil Pad, add a IC choke tube and you'll be ready to go!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

HogBiologist

FOr 75$ plus shipping to the factory, I can get a 28" 3.5" chamber bbl for my NEF Pardner single shot.  Of course I killed at 45 with it this year and 3" Fed HW #7.  But I could use a good 3.5" thumpin from a HS 3.5-2.25-7 next year.
Certified Wildlife Biologist