OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Im buying an 870 express 20guage, What to do now?

Started by devin4484, April 24, 2011, 10:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devin4484

Im going to make it my DEDICATED TURKEY SLAYER.  Its gonna be my project for the next season and it will give me plenty of time to tinker with things.  Dont know if I wanna go with the youth model with a 21" barrel or the full size 26" barrel.  My guess is the 26" will give me the extra distance needed since its gonna be my DTS.  I've been having shoulder issues lately and the 3.5" 12 aint helping any.  What can I do to make it that?  Thinking about getting a black syn. stock for it, having it dipped in full mossy oak camo, a pure gold or sumtoy choke, a scope, trigger job, and some hevi 6's as fuel for it.  That sound like it will work?

What have my fello OG members done to their Remmy 20's?

VAlongbeard84

If you go with the 26" pipe, get you a PG .570 ported tube, some hevi-13 7's if legal, and rock and roll. Easily a 40 yards rig, possibly 45 yards. I am fond of the shurshot stocks, I would personally get one of them. Dip the gun if you like, that is up to you there. Go with a nikon turkey pro or leupold turkey nwtf scope, and you will have a heck of a rig!! Good luck!

goblr77

Devin, either choke you mentioned with the 21" or 26" barrel and Hevi 7's will give you a 40-45 yard rig. Here's a pic of an 870 youth model of mine. I polished the barrel and added a full size synthetic stock, SumToy .562 choke, and Patriot sear spring. I just use the front bead sight b/c the POI is dead on. It shoots great with both Hevi and Fed 7's.

[attachment deleted by admin]

devin4484

Im thinkin Im gonna go with the 26" its the same price as the youth model. 

goblr77

Quote from: devin4484 on April 25, 2011, 03:47:00 PM
Im thinkin Im gonna go with the 26" its the same price as the youth model. 

It should definitely be easier to get good patterns out of the 26" barrel.

mwess1113

I went with the youth model for two reasons:

1) I have two young boys that will be shooting it more than me real soon!

2) It was nice and light (6 lbs even)

Here it is:

gophert

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 06, 2011, 02:07:07 PM
If it is going to be a DTS, go all out and get you a knoxx specops stock (can be adjusted for you or a smaller shooter), add you a Burris FF II, timney trigger fix or patriot sear spring, choke of choice, and either H13 #7s, Fed HWT #7s, TS, or TSS. and you will be ready to rock!!

Slicky....I want to see your gun when your done.  Hopefully the FF2 I won here on OG (Thank you OG) will be installed in a week or so and my head buster will be done.  OH...I meant my "daughters" head buster.  I love the adjustability of that Knoxx Stock!

One question...is the sear spring hard to change or is it as easy as it looks?  Never changed one but sure would like to change it on my 870 SM and this 870 Youth. 

Tim

goblr77

Quote from:  link=topic=8524.msg108552#msg108552 date=1304685132
Quote from: devin4484 on April 24, 2011, 10:12:37 PMWhat have my fello OG members done to their Remmy 20's?

If you want the best, get the 26" barrel, put a Rem SF choke on it, and shoot TSS out of it.

If you can't load TSS, get the Federal Heavyweight 7s (1-1/2 oz) and shoot them, out of that same choke and barrel.

I wished my 21" barrel liked that choke and load. It barely breaks the 100 mark @ 40 with the Fed 7s.

Fastcat

I love my 26 inch express! Something about the guns slim profile makes it feel more compact than it is!

Fastcat

I shoot a Hastings .566 choke and Winchester HV Supremes #5's!

surehuntsalot

I have the 21" 870 youth model with a .575 Carlson choke

Federal HW #7's

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

surehuntsalot

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 07, 2011, 10:07:21 AM
I have the 21" 870 youth model with a .575 Carlson choke

Federal HW #7's

I forgot
35yds      176 hits
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

fl panhandler

Devin,
I have a 20 ga. express with a .570 Pure Gole choke and a Fastfire2 shooting 3" Nitro # 7 "pixie dust" ;) and it is a true turkey killing machine.  I took 3 of my 4 bird with it this year and 4 with it last year.  Granted the longest shot this year was 32 steps but last year I slightly misjudged the yardage on one but killed it stone cold dead at 42 steps on a field set up.  I need to concentrate more on guessing yardages on those type of situations.  I don't think you could go wrong with that set up.
Rick

WyoHunter

Quote from: VAlongbeard84 on April 24, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
If you go with the 26" pipe, get you a PG .570 ported tube, some hevi-13 7's if legal, and rock and roll. Easily a 40 yards rig, possibly 45 yards. I am fond of the shurshot stocks, I would personally get one of them. Dip the gun if you like, that is up to you there. Go with a nikon turkey pro or leupold turkey nwtf scope, and you will have a heck of a rig!! Good luck!
Sounds about perfect to me!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

devin4484

on the shurshot stocks do they fit the 20 or do you have to do some modifing to get them to fit?