turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Member imput needed on call trades

Started by Old Gobbler, August 26, 2018, 11:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

I have had between 450 & 500 deals on Archerytalk. In all of those deals I have only been ripped off once when a guy tried to scam me on a trade deal. 6 months later I ended up getting my money from the guy. He pulled the same thing on another member. I talked to him a couple times on the phone and told him if was 10years in a federal prison for each case of mail fraud...he just blew me off. It was kind of funny how fast we got paid after the Post Master of his town gave him a call.

Since that incident I have set some rules for myself that I try to follow on every deal. I don't follow every one of these "rules" 100% for every deal, but I do follow at least some of them. To me the biggest things are getting the other persons contact info and a tracking number.

WHEN I'M BUYING SOMETHING
1) I check their feedback( that isn't possible to do here). If they have negative feedback, I usually pass. If it something I"m really interested in, I will read the feedback for the reason it was negative. If it was something I think is insignificant AND they have a lot of postive feedback I will proceed...with caution.
2) I keep ALL pm's from the deal. When I respond to a pm, I quote the pm so everything that has been said is in one message.
3) Before I pay for anything I get the other person's contact info. Some I have to ask a couple of times to get it. If they don't want to give it to me. I pass on the deal. I had a couple people of try to leave me bad feedack, because I backed out of the deal when they would give their info. I contacted a MOD and everything was cleared.
4) I send the payment as soon as I know we have made a deal and I have received their contact info.I also make sure they know I want a tracking number and I ask when the item will be shipped.
5) When I get the tracking number, I check it to make sure it is a valid number.
6) After I receive the item, I make sure it is in the condition it was described in the sale thread. I then let the person know I received it and everything is OK with the deal. I then leave feedback for that person.

WHEN I'M SELLING SOMETHING
Again I keep ALL messages until the deal is done.
1) I send the person my contact info(without them asking) and give them their payment options(I never ask for paypal friends & family or ask for paypal fees after I have made a deal). I have found that lately quite a few people pay the fees or send it as friends & family on their own.
2) When I receive their payment(Paypal or money order) I let the person know I received it. I tell them when I will be shipping the item and that I will give them the tracking number as soon as I get it.
3) I give the person the tracking and let them know what the expected delivery date is.
4) I check the tracking number to make sure the item has been delivered. Then I check with the person to make sure they received it in good condition. If everything is OK, I then leave feedback for them.

I do basically the same or a combination of the these 2 for a trade.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I've personally never had a problem with any trades or purchases or sales on here.  Everything in life is "buyer beware".  Just be smart and vigilant when dealing with someone new and don't come crying if it doesn't work out.  You and you alone are responsible for pushing your own buttons.  I don't think Shannon (OG) should have to babysit other people's poor decisions for not doing some homework first.  If in doubt....don't do it. 

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Dark Whiskey

I've got 133 positive feedback's on Archerytalk and 209 positive feedback's on Ebay and at 68 years old have no idea how to post a picture. I got some great calls from some of the best callmakers from years of collecting but post pictures leaves me out out selling here. I always been able to text pictures to a buyer on Archerytalk with no problem .  Would like to hear any thoughts,,dw

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Dark Whiskey on August 29, 2018, 08:10:31 PM
I've got 133 positive feedback's on Archerytalk and 209 positive feedback's on Ebay and at 68 years old have no idea how to post a picture. I got some great calls from some of the best callmakers from years of collecting but post pictures leaves me out out selling here. I always been able to text pictures to a buyer on Archerytalk with no problem .  Would like to hear any thoughts,,dw
If u wanna send me the pics, shoot me a pm. I'll b laid up a while and have some time to play around on here. Make the post and I'll imbed the pics for ya. Might even swing a deal if we can come to an agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

Quote from: Dark Whiskey on August 29, 2018, 08:10:31 PM
Step 1 - Take a picture and transfer to your computer
Step 2 - Go to www.tinypic.com
Step 3 - Click " Choose file" and browse your computer directory for the pic. Then click on the pic and click "Open".
Step 4 - Resize to Message Board (640x480)
Step 5 - Click "Upload Now"
Step 6 - (Possibly) Follow directions and enter provided code to fight spam. Click "Upload Now".
Step 7 - Look for "IMG Code for Forums and Message Boards". Highlight that link (all of it) and right click, copy.
Step 8 -  Right click and paste that code into your classifieds thread here.

Hope that helps. It's very simple.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 27, 2018, 10:10:10 PM
Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on August 27, 2018, 12:07:05 AM
Shannon I don't know if your able to do this or not, but block new members from having access to the classifieds period UNTIL they reach say 25-50 post or whatever number you decide. Also 25-50 quality post, not just a short "nice call" comment on a post.

This will make new members actually earn the privelage to trade and could improve conversation overall.

I've had a pretty large number of transactions over the years they have all been great with the exception of the one we are working on. There are some great people here that have great morals. Statistically I would say overall the amount of transactions that have gone south the last year or 2 is less than 1 percent, which is pretty awesome.

It is a shame that you have to take time out of your life to sort through the few exceptions.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This will also encourage people to simply make a one word response to 20-25 posts very quickly just to get into the classifieds. It's a tricky double edged sword. If a scammer wants in, they gonna find a way to get in. Good idea in theory but I've got my doubts.

I think the term quality posts was used though I don't feel like going through them all to double check at this time. That would help to weed out a few so they did not make the one word posts or so that one word posts do not qualify. I would also suggest that half of these posts much me shared articles that are about turkey hunting and that they can't be duplicate posts as well. I just don't want to see trades closed down, I do not do them because I can't stand getting rid of stuff because I am a packrat but I enjoy seeing others do it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 27, 2018, 10:16:40 PM
Quote from: Pooh4459 on August 27, 2018, 06:01:50 AM
I think the classifieds are pretty great. I've never had any serious issues and most everyone on there is a real pleasure to deal with.
I will suggest though some kind of rule on the amount of time you have to reply back to someone when your selling or buying. Don't tell somebody you will take an item and then not log back on till the next afternoon. That leaves the other person in limbo till you decide to get back with them.  Also if you sell something and the item is being returned for an issue then the seller should be responsible for all the shipping charges. Don't try to subtract shipping from the refund or say your not paying for the returned shipping.  If it's your fault the item is being returned then why should the buyer be out one penny when they didn't get anything but there time wasted?
Who's to say who's at fault here? You send someone a perfectly good call, they open the box and drop it to the floor cracking the pot, surface, soundboard or box. Then they come back at you saying it arrived like that. You're out the call and the money both ways then. The one TRULY good thing I can say about this board is this: every member I've dealt with has been extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY, upstanding. They've been men of their word and I'll deal with those guys any chance I get. I've only had a couple of issues where calls were promised and a seller backed out last minute or decided on a different trade. No money exchanged or calls sent so, it's moot point really. I'm sure there needs to be some changes along the way but it's hard to stop someone that's bent on doing evil.

This is why there should be pictures off everything in the trade from both traders and from every possible angle as well as all that being done in an open thread so everybody can see the quality of the items from both sides. As far as people being out both money and call you may be right on the call but if you send something through the mail you should always get Insurance, If I am not mistaken if you send priority through the Post Office the first $100-$200 is free anyway. I may be wrong about the amount but I know that it is free with one form of shipping that includes it free.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCL

I mostly follow the same rules that Captpete so eloquently outlined. Following these rules so far I have never been scammed. I did have an incident a few years ago a guy with a low post count did not want to post a picture, did not want to meet in person ( we were about 150 miles from each other and I offered to meet in the middle) but instead suggested I call a local shop owner in my area to check on him. I backed out of the deal and he sent me an indignant email that I was calling him dishonest.

I do use Friends and Family if I know the person or have dealt with them and they ask. I have sent PayPal a lot of money over the years. What bothers me, some some unknown reason,is the person selling an item and then saying the buyer must pay the fees. Put the fees in the price. In today's world if you are selling an item, pictures are almost a necessity, and if you do not post them you will probably be asked.  Even though I take terrible pictures it seems just the sending of the pictures reassures the buyer that the item is for real. I have never done a trade deal, just buying and selling so no real opinion on trade deals.