OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Member imput needed on call trades

Started by Old Gobbler, August 26, 2018, 11:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

I'd say yes allow low post people to buy sell trade but if they are below a certain post count they "MUST"
be the one who acts first send call,send cash, make this a rule. If we don't allow a low poster to list at all we may lose out on a great deal by someone who inherits a collection of simply needs the cash on something cool.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy hooker on August 27, 2018, 03:35:10 PM
I'd say yes allow low post people to buy sell trade but if they are below a certain post count they "MUST"
be the one who acts first send call,send cash, make this a rule. If we don't allow a low poster to list at all we may lose out on a great deal by someone who inherits a collection of simply needs the cash on something cool.

I can agree with this plus items being sent from both parties must be sent with insurance and delivery confirmation. Also photos from both must be posted in public forum for all to see so things can't be said after the trade is done. I think this last part should be done for all, sales or trades even for manufacturers. I have seen a few posts by makers with "Send me PM or text for price or pictures and think that needs to stop, not that I think it is always a case of dishonesty, some may not know how to post pictures is all. (Send P.M. and I will give you my email and you send me pics and I will be happy to post them for you)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

buckmark13

Since you asked for member feedback I'd say first of all I love the site!

As a new member (joined Jan '18) I've mostly read and commented when and where  I felt it was appropriate.

I've purchased a few patches from the site, more to show my support but I do love them; please continue the tradition. And I've purchased a some calls from another member.  The transaction couldn't have gone better, but that was due to good communication by both of us. He didn't ask for PayPal F&F, but I paid that way in good faith knowing the inherent risks of doing so.

My last two points are the key; good communication and knowledge of the risks. While I greatly appreciate you taking the initiative Shannon, I feel as though you should not be responsible for ensuring that smooth transactions take place between independent individuals who happen to be members.

Reminding us of good practices, weeding out the bad apples to the extent possible,  and having a means to provide feedback are all great ideas. However, the burden for ensuring smooth transactions is on us.

Thanks for working to make this a tremendous site with fantastic members!

Caveat Emptor

greencop01

I'll add my  :z-twocents: I agree with Shannon, but put a limit on amount of posts in writing for access to the Classifieds for sales or trades. 99.9% of the people on this site are honorable and honest. I agree no Pay Pal family or gifts period! I also agree no photo no post. Also I would like to see amount of sales or trades on each poster on the classifieds. It would be great info and would be a great way to help give integrity to the site. And nothing against low post people but on this blog it will show effort on the low post people to up their posts. Hey I've been on this blog for years and have found that this blog is head and shoulders above any other turkey blog out there, bar none. In closing I'm not putting anyone down. I've bought on this blog and have been very satisfied and I also know just one bad experience can leave a foul taste in your mouth. Let's work at keeping this a premier blog with members that participate. I have learned so much here and it has made me a better turkey hunter. Thank You Shannon for a lot of what I said is because of all your hard work.

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

M,Yingling

if call trading is realy giving u trouble    a wood site iam member of  here is one of their rules for trading   every thing is out in the open for all to see  lots picks some one may catch something u dont see 

All trading activity must start and end in a thread in the l section in the appropriate forum. Trades initiated "behind the forum" can result in an immediate and permanent ban

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

wvmntnhick

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on August 27, 2018, 12:07:05 AM
Shannon I don't know if your able to do this or not, but block new members from having access to the classifieds period UNTIL they reach say 25-50 post or whatever number you decide. Also 25-50 quality post, not just a short "nice call" comment on a post.

This will make new members actually earn the privelage to trade and could improve conversation overall.

I've had a pretty large number of transactions over the years they have all been great with the exception of the one we are working on. There are some great people here that have great morals. Statistically I would say overall the amount of transactions that have gone south the last year or 2 is less than 1 percent, which is pretty awesome.

It is a shame that you have to take time out of your life to sort through the few exceptions.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This will also encourage people to simply make a one word response to 20-25 posts very quickly just to get into the classifieds. It's a tricky double edged sword. If a scammer wants in, they gonna find a way to get in. Good idea in theory but I've got my doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Pooh4459 on August 27, 2018, 06:01:50 AM
I think the classifieds are pretty great. I've never had any serious issues and most everyone on there is a real pleasure to deal with.
I will suggest though some kind of rule on the amount of time you have to reply back to someone when your selling or buying. Don't tell somebody you will take an item and then not log back on till the next afternoon. That leaves the other person in limbo till you decide to get back with them.  Also if you sell something and the item is being returned for an issue then the seller should be responsible for all the shipping charges. Don't try to subtract shipping from the refund or say your not paying for the returned shipping.  If it's your fault the item is being returned then why should the buyer be out one penny when they didn't get anything but there time wasted?
Who's to say who's at fault here? You send someone a perfectly good call, they open the box and drop it to the floor cracking the pot, surface, soundboard or box. Then they come back at you saying it arrived like that. You're out the call and the money both ways then. The one TRULY good thing I can say about this board is this: every member I've dealt with has been extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY, upstanding. They've been men of their word and I'll deal with those guys any chance I get. I've only had a couple of issues where calls were promised and a seller backed out last minute or decided on a different trade. No money exchanged or calls sent so, it's moot point really. I'm sure there needs to be some changes along the way but it's hard to stop someone that's bent on doing evil.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: NCL on August 27, 2018, 09:56:48 AM
A fishing site I frequent requires 50 posts and six months on the site before you can post to classified. The time was added because it was discovered some would add minimal responses to get the post count. The site is really strict about the count and ads are removed if the count is not meet,
This^^^. This right here. I know the timeline sucks for newbies but it stops exactly what you've mentioned. 3 months might be more realistic considering that people fish year round and turkey season is fairly short but this is a great idea.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: AT on August 27, 2018, 01:50:51 PM
Since I'm a low post member, I'll disagree. Just because I have a low post count doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to sell a call. If you look at the scammer list, the last person put on it had 98 post. That tells me it don't matter what the limit is. I don't do any trading and haven't had any luck selling. Guess I have a low post count. Some people look and listen rather than post so they are not going to have a high post count. If your new or relatively new you won't either. Does that mean you shouldn't be able to sell a call because you don't have a lot of post "No". The only people agreeing with this has 200 to 4,000 post. First time in 39 years I've have had someone to say don't associate with me because I have a low post count. That's the way to treat new folks to Turkey Hunting. Thanks!!!!!! That's the way to get new people interested in the sport.

You already have 23 post it would take a week or less to post 27 more times. Just takes a little effort. No one is saying not to associate with you. The classifieds has nothing to do with new people and hunting.

If I remember correctly you sold/traded an Albert Paul box and another box call. Also keep in mind a lot of guys are focused on fishing dove and deer hunting until fall turkey season gets closer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AT

Yea and it's took 3 months to get those 23 and that's the point I'm getting at. Some people post a lot and some very little. That's exactly what it's saying. If don't have enough post you shouldn't buy sell or trade with them.

You are correct I did sell a Paul call but if this goes into effect I wouldn't be able to sell one. Which goes back to some post a lot and some don't. Guess the point I'm trying to make is scammers are scammers. There may be a more extensive Scammer list but the one I seen the guy had 98 post... so don't think putting a limit on it is going to help.

Pooh4459

I think the member that suggested making a rule on a low post member sending their item or money first is perfect. If I have several positive feedback posts in the feedback section and your fairly new then it should be stated you send your item first and as soon as I get it I'll send mine. I've done this with a couple new members and most didn't care. If they have a problem with that then don't trade. I mean whats the difference really if I want to screw you over sending at the same time isn't going to stop me. I'll just send an empty box or wait for you to ship yours first. At least the feedback gives the new guy something for the new member to kinda know who their dealing with. Then they can decide if they are comfortable sending first or not. I also think more people should start leaving feedback for people. If you dealt with a fairly new member and it went smooth let is know about it.

Gawhitaker

It's a shame that a restriction has become necessary,  I have purchased and sold calls on the site and fortunatly all the transactions have gone well. Of course i will follow whatever guidelines are deemed necessary. I too am more comfortable with money order.

Pooh4459

I don't understand people being more comfortable with money order. If you pay through PayPal goods and services you are protected.  PayPal will give you your money back.

NCL

I have sold stuff on several sites and if the value is over $50.00 then I add insurance and include it in the shipping price. The reason I use $50.00 is USPS Priority will cover the first $50.00. I have had one item lost and one item totally destroyed and the destroyed item was totally reimbursed including the shipping cost. 

I agree with the comment about it is too bad these requirements are necessary but if you spent any time on various sites with classifieds you will eventually read about the buyer who sent his money and no item and no further contact. I have never had to file a complaint with PayPal so I can not speak to how effective they are are recovering your money in these disputed transactions. When you deal in website classified it is really a situation where buyer beware, no disrespect meant to anyone on this site.

Jbird22

Some things sure have changed since joining here in 2011:

#1 - Paypal Friends/Family "shouldn't" be a problem (from an honesty perspective). However, a few turds decided to completely ruin that. I've taken/sent plenty of Paypal FF payments on lots of sites and have NEVER had a problem because I'm honest and everyone I've dealt with has been honest. It's a dang shame when a man will steal and not fulfill an obligation!

#2 - The "post pics or else rule" should NOT have to be solely enforced by Shannon as he has a job and can't live on this board. That falls on EVERY MEMBER of this forum who encounters a thread with no pics. Either post "must post pics" or ignore it altogether, don't start working a backdoor deal. What's laughable is, the same guy who posts "must post pics" in one guy's pic-less thread (because he's not interested in the calls) is the FIRST guy to post "I'll take it" or "PM sent" in a pic-less post involving a Corder, Platz, Dawkins, Williams, c0x, Farmer, or insert any other rare, high-end callmaker's name here. The rule is the rule regardless of what's being sold/traded.

#3 - Trades - The problem with trades is when you have "that guy" who's looking to get WAAAAY over on someone. Whether it's "that guy" who's looking for way more in return for his super rare, high-end call OR "that guy" who's offering junk for the super rare, high-end call. If you're the one looking to trade the high-end stuff, set a cash value for your call then trade for a call or calls which are EQUAL in price. If you have  junk or just lower end stuff, don't expect the guy trading the high-end stuff to be happy with it. STOP trying to get so over on folks! Getting the better end of the deal is one thing but making out like a bandit is totally different. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't believe in doing someone like that. Bottom line is each person involved should do right by the person they're trading with and both parties will be happy.

I've NEVER had a bad deal with ANY member on this board. There are some fine people here. However, I do realize that in 2018 you have to keep your eyes open for crooks and cheats. It's sad that this forum, of all places, has come to this. Sad, but true...