OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which 870 super mag model for turkeys

Started by paturkeyhntr, April 24, 2011, 08:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paturkeyhntr

I am considering purchasing an 870 super mag, but am not sure which model is best for hunting turkeys.  I would like to purchase the Express Camo model because the price is more in my range than the other models but don't want to buy it if it isn't set up for turkeys.  Any info would be helpful.
Thanks

gophert

Great gun!  Pick the one that feels the best to you and then go buy an aftermarket choke.  You sould be set. 

Gobble!

I prefer the MaxGobbler
Any 870 can easily be setup for turkeys though.
Some type of sight, quality choke, quality shells and you will be able to kill a turkey at 40 yards all day.

Whats your price range?

paturkeyhntr

Quote from: Gobble! on April 24, 2011, 08:55:24 PM
I prefer the MaxGobbler
Some type of sight, quality choke, quality shells and you will be able to kill a turkey at 40 yards all day.

Whats your price range?
$400 - $500

Gobble!

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on April 24, 2011, 10:34:07 PM
Look at the 870sm Turkey/Waterfowl in Bottomland. It comes with a 26" barrel and is Drilled & Tapped from the factory in case you want or need to put an aftermarket sight on it if the barrel bead is a little off POA/POI.

It should fall right in your price range..... the 870 Max Gobbler looks good too but is just a little  more expensive.

x2

bowhunter84

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on April 24, 2011, 10:34:07 PM
Look at the 870sm Turkey/Waterfowl in Bottomland. It comes with a 26" barrel and is Drilled & Tapped from the factory in case you want or need to put an aftermarket sight on it if the barrel bead is a little off POA/POI.

It should fall right in your price range..... the 870 Max Gobbler looks good too but is just a little  more expensive.
:agreed:

Turkasaurus

I bought the fully camo Turkey model, $50 rebate on all the super mag turkey models, better hurry, think it ends soon.
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

va longbeard

If you have a Dicks near you checkout the Bone Collector 870.

I bought one in a 21 inch barrel and love it, outfitted it with a buris fast fire and it has been a turkey killing machine so far this season.

I also have a 10 year old 870 supermag with a 23 inch barrel that has served me well over the years with a sightron red dot.

Reloader

I run a few 870s and like them all. I guess my favorite would have to be the camo walmart 870sm with sure shot butt stock, limbsaver pad, FF on a 336 base, Patriot sear spring, and Claw sling. It's specd to have a 26" pipe, but measures 25" and throws a mean pattern.

Good luck,

Reloader

paturkeyhntr

I have found an 870 Express 23" barrel with skyline camo for $325.  Does that sound like a good price?  How do the Express models compare to the SPS and other better 870 models?
Thanks a lot for all the good input...

hookedspur

:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Reloader

Quote from: paturkeyhntr on April 26, 2011, 07:15:18 AM
I have found an 870 Express 23" barrel with skyline camo for $325.  Does that sound like a good price?  How do the Express models compare to the SPS and other better 870 models?
Thanks a lot for all the good input...

That's a good price.  I run one 870SM with 23" bbl and one 1187SM with 23" bbl.  Both throw good patterns, not quite as good as the longer bbl, but plenty good for hunting.

There are plenty of extras you can add to that rig to turn it into a tom smashing machine.

bowhunter2k9

Buy the one at Wally World, $315... and use money towards choke, shells, etc. I have had great patterns and love mine!  :z-guntootsmiley:
Romans 8:38-39

paturkeyhntr

Anyone know anything about the 870 Super Mag Bone Collector gun at Dick's?  I found one there for $379 (not sure if this is the price before or after the Remington $50 rebate).  The receiver says 870 Super Mag...doesn't say "Express".  It is drilled and tapped for optics.  23/24" barrel and turkey choke?  I don't see this model listed on the Remington web site. 
What do you all think?

Gobble!

Quote from: paturkeyhntr on April 27, 2011, 07:20:04 AM
Anyone know anything about the 870 Super Mag Bone Collector gun at Dick's?  I found one there for $379 (not sure if this is the price before or after the Remington $50 rebate).  The receiver says 870 Super Mag...doesn't say "Express".  It is drilled and tapped for optics.  23/24" barrel and turkey choke?  I don't see this model listed on the Remington web site. 
What do you all think?

Its just like any 870SM but its got the bone collector logo so its higher in price but still a very very nice gun. If you could get that for $329 that would be tough to beat.