turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you hold your striker?

Started by Sir-diealot, August 03, 2018, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I was just wondering how different people hold there strikers, I hear there are different ways but have not really seen it discussed or demonstrated before. I pretty much just hold mine like I would a pen and put my pinky finger at the outside edge of the pot off the surface and go in a counterclockwise motion for yelps, downward for clucks and putts.

Anybody have a different method?

Oh when you use a wooden striker does it make a difference if you go with or against the grain on the striker?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

misfire

Like a pencil, but with the index finger extended. This allows me to exert pressure with my thumb on the striker which can change the pitch of the call.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Sir-diealot

Quote from: misfire on August 03, 2018, 04:56:12 PM
Like a pencil, but with the index finger extended. This allows me to exert pressure with my thumb on the striker which can change the pitch of the call.
Any difference in the way the grain on wooden strikers work?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

greencop01

Making contact w/three fingers of my right hand, LIGHTLY. Use my fingers to cluck yelp etc. Use my thumb for pressure.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

nyhunter

Making contact w/three fingers of my right hand, LIGHTLY. Use my fingers to cluck yelp etc. Use my thumb for pressure.

X2, moving my contact points up and down the striker change the picth

Sir-diealot

Quote from: nyhunter on August 03, 2018, 09:36:37 PM

X2, moving my contact points up and down the striker change the picth
Thank you both.

John Koenig:

Spitten and drummen

Thumb pressing into my middle finger with striker in between. Index finger straight out and striker hand resting on pot
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 03, 2018, 10:13:20 PM
Thumb pressing into my middle finger with striker in between. Index finger straight out and striker hand resting on pot
When you say index finger straight out do you mean going along length of striker or like straight out in the air?

John Koenig:

Tail Feathers

Same here.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on August 03, 2018, 10:44:25 PM
I will ask the same question to you then as you are on right now. When you say index finger straight out do you mean going along length of striker or like straight out in the air? Thanks for the reply by the way.

Same here.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

In the heat of the battle , i don't worry about how i hold the striker that much, i just want to make sure i'm playing the music the turkey wants to dance toooo....  :jackson:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 03, 2018, 11:12:11 PM
In the heat of the battle , i don't worry about how i hold the striker that much, i just want to make sure i'm playing the music the turkey wants to dance toooo....  :jackson:
lol Yes but we all have to have that starting point to get that pot to play the tune.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 03, 2018, 11:31:55 PM
lol Yes but we all have to have that starting point to get that pot to play the tune.
Just keep trying , you will get the hang of it after 40 years of hunting .....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 04, 2018, 12:00:06 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 03, 2018, 11:31:55 PM
Just keep trying , you will get the hang of it after 40 years of hunting .....
I have a hang of it my way, but there are always other ways of doing things, some better and some not, I am just not arrogant enough to think my way is necessarily the best way just because I have been doing it for a long time. You know, it is called learning.

John Koenig:

shatcher

What spitting and drumming said.  Will Primos has an excellent youtube out there on how to do it.  Use your thumb to press the striker against the first knuckle of your middle finger.  The striker will rest behind the last knuckle of your index finger.