turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

anyone shooting the versamax

Started by ohiostrutter, April 23, 2011, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiostrutter

I'm looking for a new shotgun I've got it narrowed down to the 1187 supermag the versamax or the browning maxxus

JDogg

I would definitely see if you could try some of the guns you want before you lay down the cash.  I have been coveting a maxus/ sx3 for a while.  I finally decided this would be the year.  One of my friends said his brother in law just bought a new sx3 and was going to bring it out to shoot.  I met him out there and he let me run quite a few rounds through it.  It feels awesome and shoots smooth.  I couldn't hit squat with it.  I just didn't fit me at all.  I'm really at a loss as to what gun I want now.

pullit

Remington has a recall on some of them. See the below post.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,8281.0.html

For my money of the 3 give me the Browning

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ohiostrutter on April 23, 2011, 05:47:24 PM
I'm looking for a new shotgun I've got it narrowed down to the 1187 supermag the versamax or the browning maxxus

I've shot all of those guns and they all have their strong points. I also have the SX3 and a Vinci and they are strong guns as well.

Some of the early Versa Max guns were recalled due to a hammer issue. I shot one the day they were introduced at the Grand and put a lot of 2.75" trap shells through one. It fit me well and I hit with it my first shot.

It has a Pro-Bore barrel and turkey chokes for that gun are not widely available. My lead time on those chokes is about 4+ weeks currently.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

goblr77

Quote from: ohiostrutter on April 23, 2011, 05:47:24 PM

Out of those three I would pick the Maxus.

gunslinger

I was all about the Maxus last month when I bought one to use exclusively as my turkey gun.  It shot consistently left about 10-12 inches from the get go.  I did manage to kill 5 with it this year.  Last week, the trigger messed up in it.  You had to pull the trigger twice to make it fire.  The guy at the gunshop took it apart no less that a dozen times and still couldn't fix it.  Swapped it that day for a SBEII.   Can't say I'd recommend the Maxus after that experience.

hd mike

I just purchased a SX3 a few weeks ago. Always have been a Browning guy, but did not care for the feel of the Maxus. I did shoulder the Versa Max also but it felt bulky (to me). I like my A-5's and my Silver, but the SX3 feels and fits the best for me.
With the shims and spacers , I would think you could custom fit the gun. When I patterned mine, with a Hevi Shot choke tube and H13, #6, 3.5" my poi was 3" higher than my poa. Pattern on center of target. That was with the neutral shim from the factory.

neal

SBEII............. I have not shot the versamax but have shot and do have buddies that owned the others and they owned them till they shot my SBEII now thats what they own.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

surehuntsalot

it would not be the versamax if it was me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SumToy

Have not shot the Versa  Max but will know how it works after this weekend.  I did shoot the STS pro bore O/U and it was a good set up.   I don't know if it has the long forcing cone like the other pro bore.   

Now if I had to pic it would be the Maxus.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Reloader

All of the guns you mention are good autos.  All have their pros and cons. 

Some complain about the loose forearm of the Maxus and I've also read and heard stories of the piston springs failing. Others rave on it.

The Versa is pretty new, so there may be some kinks to work out yet(IE the recall). I have handled the Versa, but didn't shoot it.  It didn't fit me and felt bulky and heavy. 

The SX3 gets glowing reviews.  You may not have liked the fit due to the wrong shim for you.  When I bought my SX3 it didn't fit at all until I had the proper shim in and now it fits like a glove. The function is great so far.

The 1187SM is a good gun as well.  Lots of guys on this site run them w/o an issue. I've run 3 1187s since the mid 90s and never had a single problem(knock on wood).

As mentioned, fit is very important.  I'd definitely handle all that you can before you buy.

Good Luck

Reloader

gobbler74

Quote from: gunslinger on April 24, 2011, 12:17:16 AM
I was all about the Maxus last month when I bought one to use exclusively as my turkey gun.  It shot consistently left about 10-12 inches from the get go.  I did manage to kill 5 with it this year.  Last week, the trigger messed up in it.  You had to pull the trigger twice to make it fire.  The guy at the gunshop took it apart no less that a dozen times and still couldn't fix it.  Swapped it that day for a SBEII.   Can't say I'd recommend the Maxus after that experience.

Thanks for the update on that. This should be a post itself.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

fallsflight

I picked up one a couple weeks ago, but have not had a chance to shoot it.  Hopefully this weekend.  I will be shooting the factory chokes that came with it (that is all I have for it right now) and probably just running steel loads through it to see what I get for waterfowl hunting.  I like the way it points and swings.  Now I just have to see what it does on paper with 3" magnums in various brands. 

Was thinking of getting another choke such as, PG or Briley (currently shoot from my 870 for waterfowl), but it will be a choke for waterfowl, not turkeys.   Leaning towards the Briley, as they replied back to my email with a little more info for my questions than other companies.  Anyway,  I assume you are looking for a new turkey gun and I got the Versa Max for waterfowl.

chipper

I have a SX3 and it is a good gun, I shouldered a Versamax the other day and liked the way it felt but was a very heavy gun and I shot my buddy's Maxus and loved the weight fit and it shot to point of aimand it has to be a good gun the way he treats them, it was in a duck blind every day on TN. Season and looked it when he pulled it out of the case for me to shoot, I ran a 3.5 # 7 through it with my .665 IC and shot in the 240's with a extremly dirty gun. I really liked the way it fit, I'm really loving a M1 Benelli the more I handle one though.