turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge Long Beard #5, Better than expected

Started by mbarnes122578, May 02, 2018, 11:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbarnes122578

So I justified the purchase of a 20 gauge as a gun the kids could turkey hunt with but since they still have a year or two before they can hunt of course I had to test it out this year.  I went with a mossberg super bantam, carlson .575 choke and topped it with a bushnell trs-25.  I tried some hevishot magnum blend which did not pattern great and hevi 13 #7 which was much better but not overly impressive.  I'm sure some of this was due adjusting the sight trying to fine tune the red dot.  I assumed I would be hunting with the hevi 13 #7 but wanted to shoot the gun some more before the season and didn't want to shoot up the hevi 13's.  I was hoping to buy some long beard # 6 but all that was on the shelve were 5 shot.  I was hesitate that the low pellet count of #5 (212 by my calculations) would not pattern all that great especially past 30 yards.  Was I wrong!  At 30 yards, there were well over 100 pellets in a 10 in circle.  I moved back to 40 yards not expecting much but was surprised to count 96 in a 10 inch circles and 15 in the turkey target vitals!  After seeing this pattern I figured why not just hunt with this load.  This past Saturday I got to test it on a gobble at 35 yards and it was a bang flop!  Needless to say I could not be happier with this gun, choke, shell combination.  Obviously there are shells out there that will give you greater numbers in a 10 inch circle but hunting purposes out to 40+ yards, this load is hard to beat!

surehuntsalot

glad to hear it, have not had the chance to try out my LB#5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

albrubacker

:OGturkeyhead:
Sounds like a shooter.  Congrats on your bird!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

bigbird

My 20 gauge liked the 5's over the 6's in the LBXR shells. I was very impressed with the pattern that they produced.

Yoder409

Good stuff to know for when I run out of my stash of Federal HW7's.................

CONGRATS on the bird !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.