OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

$300 to fill a vest (hypothetical)

Started by TauntoHawk, May 04, 2018, 03:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Fun Hypothetical time,

we get the "What ____ should I buy" or "what the Best ____" questions all the time, answers are almost always different from every poster in the thread based on what they own or have used but one thing I noticed is the answers also have a lot of disparity in price or availability. Especially for someone starting out and looking for a call they can hunt now. A $300 box with a 2 year waiting list might not be remotely practical even if its the best call you ever heard.

So here's the hypothetical its March and your states season starts in 4 weeks, your buddy has every piece of gear he needs to hunt turkeys from guns, camo, even a vest but he doesn't own a single call (lets assume he has some basic ability to run calls). Armed with exactly $300 and 4 weeks until hunting starts what list would give him to buy? This would cover any call type - pots, strikers, boxes, mouth calls, trumpets, scratchers, ect even locator calls if you deem them necessary.

My choices were based on easy to get ahold of (website), ability to fill multiple needs from the same source, readily available or short turn around, excellent sound and playability to price value on the calls. Also went for range in call types and sounds although I didn't List wood combos or cuts because those can be tailored to the individuals tastes and I don't believer there's a bad offering from those makers.

SS Field Grade Box Short Box and Scratch Box - $95 readily available to a few weeks

Halloran Twisted Sister, one-piece yellowheart striker, and two mouth calls - $100 readily available

Houndstooth Cherry Ceramic and 3 mouth calls $80

A Single Locator call either Harrison Hooter or Gibson Crow $25 readily available (Midwest/Macks)

Total $300
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

crenshawco

1 Platz glass - $300

That's all you need  :laugh:

Sixes

1 Gooserbat Tom Swatter calls $10
1 Gooserbat Heckler call $10
Lonnie Mabry Chestnut slate with 2 strikers $30
Jeff White short box $60
Billy Buice trumpet $190

kjnengr

My list would be very similar to yours Tauntohawk. 

I would probably go with a Gooserbat or Hooks mouth call though.

And truthfully, for someone just starting out, I would probably drop one of the pots and the scratcher until they got a season under their belt.  Too many calls might present more problems for a hunter just starting out instead of adding versatility. 

Save that money and put it into gas for scouting and boots on the ground info.

davisd9

Loftis Crystal Double Barrel - $65

Fowler Snakewood, Mysterywood, and Black Locust - $75

Wendell Lancaster Box Call - $100

2 XT Havoc Pro - $20

$40 to buy us a good breakfast when we are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TauntoHawk

Yeha the hypothetical was more under the assumption that the hunter can run whatevers on the list. And yes I would have went with some hooks but kept it to the multiple calls from one place.

Although I found scratch boxes to be one of the easiest to run calls I understsnd its not the same for everyone.
Quote from: kjnengr on May 04, 2018, 05:28:26 PM
My list would be very similar to yours Tauntohawk. 

I would probably go with a Gooserbat or Hooks mouth call though.

And truthfully, for someone just starting out, I would probably drop one of the pots and the scratcher until they got a season under their belt.  Too many calls might present more problems for a hunter just starting out instead of adding versatility. 

Save that money and put it into gas for scouting and boots on the ground info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 04, 2018, 03:14:50 PM
Fun Hypothetical time,

we get the "What ____ should I buy" or "what the Best ____" questions all the time, answers are almost always different from every poster in the thread based on what they own or have used but one thing I noticed is the answers also have a lot of disparity in price or availability. Especially for someone starting out and looking for a call they can hunt now. A $300 box with a 2 year waiting list might not be remotely practical even if its the best call you ever heard.

So here's the hypothetical its March and your states season starts in 4 weeks, your buddy has every piece of gear he needs to hunt turkeys from guns, camo, even a vest but he doesn't own a single call (lets assume he has some basic ability to run calls). Armed with exactly $300 and 4 weeks until hunting starts what list would give him to buy? This would cover any call type - pots, strikers, boxes, mouth calls, trumpets, scratchers, ect even locator calls if you deem them necessary.

My choices were based on easy to get ahold of (website), ability to fill multiple needs from the same source, readily available or short turn around, excellent sound and playability to price value on the calls. Also went for range in call types and sounds although I didn't List wood combos or cuts because those can be tailored to the individuals tastes and I don't believer there's a bad offering from those makers.

SS Field Grade Box Short Box and Scratch Box - $95 readily available to a few weeks

Halloran Twisted Sister, one-piece yellowheart striker, and two mouth calls - $100 readily available

A Single Locator call either Harrison Hooter or Gibson Crow $25 readily available (Midwest/Macks)

Total $300
You forgot shells, gloves, mask, conditioning supplies or chalk, snack and water ugh.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Bowguy on May 04, 2018, 08:35:11 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 04, 2018, 03:14:50 PM
Fun Hypothetical time,

Total $300
You forgot shells, gloves, mask, conditioning supplies or chalk, snack and water ugh.
Nope he's got all that lol

Bowguy

300 bucks, let me see.

SS scratcher
Atomic 13
McKamey or SS longbox
Harrison hootin stick
With this you can do it all imo

Think I might be over 300 but close. Maybe a few hooks mouth calls if possible.

Plus shells, gloves, mask, conditioning supplies, snack, water, binos. Some guys might be over 300 just patterning gun

ElkTurkMan

My vest would have the following:
A Hollaran Purple Heart and cedar box
Hooks Heartthrob diagram
A Roberts brothers glass over slate wormy chestnut pot
A super yelper walnut scratch box
A Harrison Hootn stick
A warbird crow call.

That would be close to $300.00 give it take a few bucks. All of these above mentioned I have the utmost confidence in.

This is a neat thread it's cool to see what everyone's go to calls are

TauntoHawk

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on May 04, 2018, 08:59:25 PM
My vest would have the following:
A Hollaran Purple Heart and cedar box
Hooks Heartthrob diagram
A Roberts brothers glass over slate wormy chestnut pot
A super yelper walnut scratch box
A Harrison Hootn stick
A warbird crow call.

That would be close to $300.00 give it take a few bucks. All of these above mentioned I have the utmost confidence in.

This is a neat thread it's cool to see what everyone's go to calls are
I just thought a price point limit might be fun or for guys looking for calls are usually on some kind of reasonable budget but I see threads all the time like "want to upgrade my calls what are some good ones?" and the replies are like cordor, platz, Watkins, Basehore, Dawkins, ect and while those are all incredibls the guy asking for picking a new call advice probably doesn't have 2 grand and 3 years to assemble that kind of flock to hunt a 2 bird limit in many states.

SteelerFan

1. SS or Van Cise box

2. Stumpy ceramic - or - Wynne slate

3. Hooks or Shane Simpson's diaphragm (X2)

4. Yingling (choice of favorite surface)

5. Lyman Hickory striker

—————-

That would get you very close +/- $300

Happy hooker

Well if you were relatively close to Lonnie Mabry somebody mentioned once that you could get a
Longbox
Short box
Slate
Glass
Other
Pot calls and strikers
For $270 total
And you know they all work good.

PEte_A

SS field box - $80
Halloran CM - $80
Wynne Slate of Lonzo Birdseye - $80