Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Top States For Turkey Hunting 2018 - WI Number 1?

Started by MadisonMan, April 26, 2018, 04:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadisonMan

Found a blog about the top states for Turkey hunting this year.  I agree with most of the list, but WI at #1 seems a little extreme.  I mean I'm happy that it is being from around there, but what do you guys think about this?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/gearexpert/2018/04/best-turkey-hunting-2018.html

1iagobblergetter

hobbes

"This coupled with the vast amounts of public hunting land makes Texas a Turkey hunting heaven"

Since when did texas have vast amounts of public land?

Sir-diealot

I can't believe NY is in there, 20 years ago I could have believed it but not now, even the stats say we have far less now. I do agree with PA though, that state treats it's hunters right and I wish NY would take some of their examples and employ them here.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BB30

Eh didn't realize Wisconsin was that high on the list either. Love hunting Alabama public(some of the prettiest sure enough turkey woods in the country) but you better plan on having more than a couple of days to hunt the state and figure the birds out. They get hunted harder than any other state in the country IMO.

It can happen quick of course but usually takes a couple of days to figure them out especially if you are going on up into the season after they have been hammered on pretty good.

I think some hidden gems are KY, Colorado, and Oklahoma. Love my home state of MS as well. 

hobbes

:deadhorse:If I had to guess it was put together by folks with limited experience hunting as a NR.  They built a spreadsheet, assigned each column some points, plugged numbers in from the state game departments, tabulated a score and spit out their report.