turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

seeking new pot call

Started by Beards n bbq, April 23, 2018, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards n bbq

i know this will open a can of worms but here goes.  my florida season is over and i am already thinking of next year.  i would like to update some calls and will start with pots.   all my calls are box store specials and i would like something nice now.  i have mostly slates and a couple aluminum surfaces.  not really sure what would be a good starting point for me, although i know i wont stop at one.  i have killed quite a few birds with my cheap slate but i dont really think it sound good.  i would like some input on a solid combo to start with.  btw,  seams like i have to condition my slate often and or my striker loads up quickly.  would glass be a more carefree surface.  moisture can be a problem here in florida, another problem.  are most of the calls discussed on the forum ordered from the maker or an online store.  one last thing, all of my birds were easterns. do osceolas respond better to a different pitch or sound .  any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

deerpoo22

Love my John Sinclair titanium

HILBY72

Can't go wrong with anything from MAC Calls !!

roverboy

Why don't you look on Brookside Calls or one of the other companies that make kits and try making your own. They have some nice kits on there.
Listen for the gobble

outdoors

WOW  are you SHURE you want to step up a notch
Sounds like your good wright where U are.........

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Tom Foolery

I have a Yingling Copper over slate that sounds great.  Copper has a different tone than a lot of birds hear.  I've been running copper calls for a few years and I've had good success with them. 

Mine is in flamed ash but he makes a waterproof pot that I think would be a great all around set up for any weather.

Mike is a member here and sells on the forum.

Spitten and drummen

Here you go. This will save you a lot of time and money.
Reg slate - Scott hock curly white oak, Cody world class or spec 1
Reg slate- Eddie Wynn persimmon or zebrawood
Green slate- Brad Roberts in cedar , Dustin jones in cherry
Glass- Dustin jones in padauk, glass sound board.
Glass- Brad Roberts bronze glass over aluminum in blue mahoe
Crystal- David Halloran mistress or twisted sister
Crystal- Dustin jones walnut
Ceramic- stumpys in walnut
Aluminum- jimmy Schaffer's atomic 13 , lon trice yellowheart

Stoned aluminum- Darren Dawkins in plastic. Lon trice Black acrylic

All kidding aside , there are a whole lot more pot calls and makers out there. In my opinion this would be a top notch line up. Have fun and good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Beards n bbq

Thanks for all the input! I am leaning toward the DH crystal mistress and maybe a copper call as well. Thanks for the tip on the pot kits, would be a neat project to play with