turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi -13,#7, or Federal HW, #6

Started by jbrown, February 07, 2019, 11:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

Can't find HE #7 anymore. Would you rather shoot Hevi-13, 3" , 1 1\4 #7shot or Federal HW, 3" , 1 1\2, #6 shot in a Benelli M-1, 20 gauge?

Greg Massey

If your against shooting Tss , I would shoot the Hevi-13 number 7 ... what choke will matter also ... what choke are you planning on using ?

1iagobblergetter

I would shoot the H13 #7s or try Tss if I couldn't find a good supply of Fed Hvy #7s. My son shoots the Fed 7s in his 20g. and when we run out it will probably be Tss.

dirt road ninja

I used to shoot the hvy13 7's and stopped cause they came lose in my gun and pocket. The Feds I never tried. They seem to have a better quality product. Their shot is superior to EM.

Tom Foolery

Happy

I will go against the grain and say the federal #6's. I could never bring myself to trust hevi shot # 7's.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Happy on February 08, 2019, 09:46:51 AM
I will go against the grain and say the federal #6's. I could never bring myself to trust hevi shot # 7's.
40yds and under they will kill.

crow

I've used the Fed HVWT #6s and they hit like a hammer on turkeys.

there is no disadvantage to them in a hunting pattern at 40 yds and under, and if you needed a finishing follow up shot the HVWT 6s would be better for breaking a turkey down.

my gun got in the mid 120's at 40yds
it patterned it's best with a little more open choke than the HVWT #7s liked.

Happy

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 08, 2019, 10:22:50 AM
Quote from: Happy on February 08, 2019, 09:46:51 AM
40yds and under they will kill.
They may very well. However once again I don't trust them. I have shot them and seen what they do on cardboard. That's enough for me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

Trust is everything and that's why I TRUST Hevi 7's.  7's flat out HAMMER turkeys.  With my 835, a Pure Gold .670 choke and 3 1/2's, I put over 300 in 10 at 40.  I killed a bird in South Dakota, a few years back, at a ranged 38 yards and the bird never moved.  They have never let me down.  I LOVE Hevi 7's. 

Tom Foolery

Quote from: bbcoach on February 08, 2019, 07:29:53 PM
Trust is everything and that's why I TRUST Hevi 7's.  7's flat out HAMMER turkeys.  With my 835, a Pure Gold .670 choke and 3 1/2's, I put over 300 in 10 at 40.  I killed a bird in South Dakota, a few years back, at a ranged 38 yards and the bird never moved.  They have never let me down.  I LOVE Hevi 7's.

Same here. I've killed enough birds with them from close up to past 40yds to have complete trust in them. 

jbrown

I been shooting HW 7's through a sum toy 562-5

owlhoot

Quote from: bbcoach on February 08, 2019, 07:29:53 PM

I would bet . 300 in the ten is a wicked pattern.  But would it be just as effective with a 20 gauge say with 125 in the 10" ? 
I know we had great results with the Hevi 6's , lots of birds under 40 yards , most were 20-30 yards though.
But between your choices i would go fed hw 6.

jbrown