turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey/dove gun

Started by Gene so, February 08, 2019, 06:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene so

Hello, I was introduced to both Turkey and dove hunting by a fellow hunter here in N.M. We can take 3 turkeys a year and have a migratory refuge to hunt doves on. I was lucky last year on taking a ten inch bearded Tom. I am seeking a camouflaged pump 12 gauge with short barrel and choke tubes for both these types of shooting. I don't want to insult anyone buthave been warned away from the new 870 Remington's by two serious shotgunners i know. What do you think is the best pump shotgun for the money on the market presently with choke tubes, that is camouflaged?
Thank you in advance.
Gene So

Spring Creek Calls

I would recommend you go to the biggest gun store in your area and shoulder every gun that fits your description.  A shotgun is all about how it "fits" you and the only way to find out is to handle it. I would also recommend a 3" 20 gauge instead of the 12 gauge. Good luck in your search.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

dirt road ninja

Sounds like you need 2 guns. Best pump out there imo is the Browning BPS. A 26" tube would suit you for both dove and turkeys. Ithaca is also worth looking at.

CrustyRusty

Remington gets trashed a lot, but not all of it is warranted. I've bought several new 870's over the last few years and all have been fine. Especially the camo ones. I wouldn't worry too much about the camo Remingtons and would probable get a 26" one from Walmart. I was At my local Walmart yesterday and they had a Remington for $339 that was all camo.

The Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun as well and will serve you fine. The BPS is really a beautiful shot gun but they tend to be heavy. The nice feature about them just like the Mossberg is that they have a top tang safety. The BPS will be pricey compared to the 870 and 500.

Greg Massey

Quote from: CrustyRusty on February 08, 2019, 07:33:16 PM
Remington gets trashed a lot, but not all of it is warranted. I've bought several new 870's over the last few years and all have been fine. Especially the camo ones. I wouldn't worry too much about the camo Remingtons and would probable get a 26" one from Walmart. I was At my local Walmart yesterday and they had a Remington for $339 that was all camo.

The Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun as well and will serve you fine. The BPS is really a beautiful shot gun but they tend to be heavy. The nice feature about them just like the Mossberg is that they have a top tang safety. The BPS will be pricey compared to the 870 and 500.
I agree , i would look at the 20 gauge .. Rem 870 is fine .....

CrustyRusty

That's funny Greg , I actually bought the Camo 20 they had for my daughter.

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 08, 2019, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on February 08, 2019, 07:33:16 PM

I agree , i would look at the 20 gauge .. Rem 870 is fine .....

Turkeytider

Quote from: Gene so on February 08, 2019, 06:56:16 PM
Hello, I was introduced to both Turkey and dove hunting by a fellow hunter here in N.M. We can take 3 turkeys a year and have a migratory refuge to hunt doves on. I was lucky last year on taking a ten inch bearded Tom. I am seeking a camouflaged pump 12 gauge with short barrel and choke tubes for both these types of shooting. I don't want to insult anyone buthave been warned away from the new 870 Remington's by two serious shotgunners i know. What do you think is the best pump shotgun for the money on the market presently with choke tubes, that is camouflaged?
Thank you in advance.
Gene So

Would be curious to know if the two who warned you off of Remington had bad PERSONAL experiences with newer 870s or  were relating the negativity that`s been in vogue regarding Remington. Fully aware that it`s not a pump, but my recently acquired V3 is a very well made gun.

owlhoot

Not exactly what your asking for , but if your can find an older 870 Wingmaster with chokes and get it dipped in a camo you like, or duracoated. you would have a very slick and dependable  shotgun.

Grouse870

I also have newer 870's (bought one last year)? and I haven't had any issues. I think the Internet echo chamber has overblown the issue. But I think your only options for a factory fully camo pump gun is a 3.5" 12 gauge either mossberg 835 or Remington 870. Other wise your option is to get a standard 870/500/835 and get it dipped. I will say that you should take a look at a 20 gauge. I've shot doves with my 21" barrel 20 gauge but i prefer the longer barrel for doves.