turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard shells with Carlson's longbeard choke

Started by Claybirdd, April 17, 2018, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claybirdd

So I went out and bought the Carlson longbeard choke and some 3" longbeard #4 and #5 HV and some #5 magnums.  At 37 yards these were the patterns I got. 40 yards wasnt possible with the property I was on so that as far as I was able to shoot.  Which of these would you guys go with.  Gun is a 28" 870 with Carlson's .670 longbeard choke.   

First picture is #5 magnums

mtns2hunt

I would go with the 5 mag in my opinion. But I imagine that is very tight at 20 yards or so. Also I am very partial to LB so would continue looking for a good combo with long beard. Just my 2 cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

RailRoader

I'd go with the 5 magnum. Looks more consistent. Just my 2 cents

Claybirdd

I agree the #5 mags look the best, but the #4's impressed me the most.  145 pellets for 61%.  The #5 Magnums we 189 for 58% and the #5 HV was 150 for 50%.
   I'm gonna try the #4 magnums next, I think they will be the tivket.  Nothing against #6 shot but I'm saving them for last. I just wish there weren't so many gaps.

ShootingABN!

#5 mags foe show.....  Have you cleaned really cleaned that barrel????? Might help. Good luck.

Claybirdd

This is actually right after a deep cleaning.  I think my gun shoots better dirty.

tnanh

This is #6 3 inch long beard magnum at 40 yards out of an 0ld sears single shot cut to 26 inches and a Sumtoy 665. Killed good with it back in early May at 30-35 Yards. 

10gaugemag

When you say HV do you mean the 1 3/4 oz Longbeard or the actual 1300 fps XX HV load?

Either way I would take that #4 load. Can't beat those #4s for bone crushing penetration.

owlhoot

Quote from: 10gaugemag on May 24, 2018, 07:08:21 PM
When you say HV do you mean the 1 3/4 oz Longbeard or the actual 1300 fps XX HV load?

Either way I would take that #4 load. Can't beat those #4s for bone crushing penetration.
X 2 on the 4's hard hitting for sure.

Claybirdd

Quote from: 10gaugemag on May 24, 2018, 07:08:21 PM
The 1300 fps 3"