turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ISO an inexpensive trumpet

Started by southern_leo, May 24, 2018, 11:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

So I'm curious of all the hype with trumpets. I would like to learn this call and possibly experiment with making them later down the road, but I don't have experience on them at this time. So I'm looking for a good trumpet for a good price. I'm not concerned with the name, but I do want one with the lip stop because I know adjusting that can cause a sound difference. I'd like to be ~$35 or less. I know this isn't much for a trumpet, but I don't want to sink a whole lot into one in case I can't get the hang of it or it's not what I was hoping for. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

land cruiser

Get a Lovett Williams wingbone. It's $39.99, will take some practice and you will be able to play trumpets better.

gergg

Not sure what kind of luck you will have with the $35.00 threshold, but I think EZ had some wingbone and cane type suction calls below $50.00.....PM him here and see, hard to beat them for the cost.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

davisd9

A quality call will making learning easier.  Just buying any suction call is not a good way to try and learn them.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

I started with a wing bone first to see if it's for me , had good results
And then I went too trumpets. Only a suggestion
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

jshark14

Bought a cheap one off eBay, and it was difficult to play. Got frustrated and bought an RP...now I have more than one. The Ralph Permar is MUCH easier to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

Keep in mind that even if you pay a good bit more for one from a known maker, you shouldn't lose any money reselling if you decide that a trumpet is not for you.

sasquatch1

Chris Brumfiel!

howl

Make your own out of cane or a cocktail straw and shotshell hull. Shoot, just get an 1/8" ID straw, cup your hands around the end and have at it. The technology was developed by people who never made it so far as the Bronze Age. It is not rocket surgery.

Most of the sound of a suction yelper is determined by how you play, not the internals of the trumpet. The internals just make modulating airflow easier in different ways. A good trumpet will make playing easier, and condition and amplify your playing for a truer, louder sound than a crap call. BUT, you can still learn to play through about any small tube.

Spring Creek Calls

Give Daryal Gosey  (NCbowjunkie) a try. He fixed me up with a bamboo lined trumpet at pretty close to your price.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 25, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
Give Daryal Gosey  (NCbowjunkie) a try. He fixed me up with a bamboo lined trumpet at pretty close to your price.
I've heard good things about his trumpets. I'd also highly recommend Jeff Jones. Goes by lumberjack on here. Makes a great trumpet and they're reasonably priced compared to what some are charging. Not saying they're not worth it. Just saying his are really good for the money.

southern_leo

Thanks for the help everyone i found one, but have the names listed as future purchases if I get hooked on them

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk